V30'S vs G12T-75's

Splat88 said:
I've got two Marshall 1960 Slant Cabs. One is a 1960 Vintage with V30s and the other is loaded with G12T-75s. I've got a ton of heads to go along with them. A Laney VH100R, Peavey 5150II, Marshall DSL 100, Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier Solo (early 90s model), Line 6 Flextone HD, peavey classic 120/120 power amp, JMP-1 preamp, Peavey Rockmaster preamp, Line 6 POD PRO head, Pod XT and a modded ADA MP-1 mod 3.666.

I owned the v30 cab first and thought it sounded amazing until my friend brought his Marshall cab over with G12t-75s. He also has a Laney VH100R. His Laney through the G12t-75s made my Laney through V30s sound extremely harsh and shrill using the exact same settings. I liked his tone so much I bought the second Marshall cab with G12t-75s. They have a much warmer, darker sound.

Every one of my amps, perhaps with the exception of the Triple Rec sound FAR better with the G12t-75s. I have tried every amp I have through both cabs extensively. The V30s lack a lot of low end in comparison and again, have a really harsh mid to high end.

When cranked up, the G12t-75s destroy. They really crunch up a lot better and remain focused.

Of course this is just my perception and a lot of this is a matter of taste.

Very interesting... thanks for sharing your opinions. One question remains, however. Are you talking about "in the room" sound, or "miked up?" To my ears, a cabinet loaded up with Eminice speakers sounds wonderful.... until you mike it up with a 57, then it turns to dogshit.
To my ears, 75's sound great in the room, but don't mike up nearly as easily as v30's. On the other hand, I don't like the v30 'in the room' sound as much as the 75's, either.

-0z-

Smalex said:
that's the problem for me though :cry: My 50w single rec just seems to start breaking up through the 75's as i turn it up further... Especially battling against the rest of the band.. This wasn't the case with the V30's, and it just *seemed* louder. I could actually FEEL my guitar behind me and not just hear it. I didn't mean to make people's heads start hurting with all the maths hehe. Thanks for everyone's input though, much appreciated.

It probably seemed louder to you because the V30's have some thicker mids and were likely helping you cut through the mix better, so you "seemed" louder. The 75's have some tight bass and handle a lot of power, but they also have a little less mid focus.

I really enjoy the G12T-75's. I like the V30's better overall and they're what I use now pretty much exclusively, but my old Marshall 1960A 4X12 I bought new ages ago sounded great with my 2 Channel Dual Recto, DSL 100, 5150 II, etc.

Smalex said:
Haha, thanks steve. I'll pass on your comments :lol:

:lol:

I know the feeling though. The drummer in my band learnt whilst he was playing with a bunch of kids that didn't know how to setup their amps and just turned the volume all the way up; he hits so damn hard I have turn my amp right up to hear anything of what I'm playing, and we're only a three piece! The little bastard plays like the dude from Mastodon, he HAS to be hitting something every second of every song :mad:

Steve

OzNimbus said:
Very interesting... thanks for sharing your opinions. One question remains, however. Are you talking about "in the room" sound, or "miked up?" To my ears, a cabinet loaded up with Eminice speakers sounds wonderful.... until you mike it up with a 57, then it turns to dogshit.
To my ears, 75's sound great in the room, but don't mike up nearly as easily as v30's. On the other hand, I don't like the v30 'in the room' sound as much as the 75's, either.

-0z-

Yeah, I have not done a lot of A/B comparison with the speakers miced up. All I know is that they both have given me great results miced up. You probably already know this, but Celestion has some cheesy sound clips of the speakers miced up on their web site. Its worth a listen if you have not heard them.

Splat88 said:
Yeah, I have not done a lot of A/B comparison with the speakers miced up. All I know is that they both have given me great results miced up. You probably already know this, but Celestion has some cheesy sound clips of the speakers miced up on their web site. Its worth a listen if you have not heard them.
Oh yeah, I've heard them a million times.

BTW, I've got a Marshall 1960A (75s), Marshall 1960BV (V30s) Hand-built Greenback 4X12, Custom 85 watt celstion 4X12, & 100 watt Celestion 4X12.
I like to have a selection :) But, the V30s are the ones that usually wind up on records.

-0z-

OzNimbus said:
Oh yeah, I've heard them a million times.

BTW, I've got a Marshall 1960A (75s), Marshall 1960BV (V30s) Hand-built Greenback 4X12, Custom 85 watt celstion 4X12, & 100 watt Celestion 4X12.
I like to have a selection :) But, the V30s are the ones that usually wind up on records.

-0z-

The 1960BV does not have V30 speakers. No marshall cabinet does.

tgs said:
The 1960BV does not have V30 speakers. No marshall cabinet does.

They do if you put them in yourself. :rolleyes:

My 1960A is now loaded with V30s.

Muttley

dont wanna highjack the thread but i got a question about these two speakers so ill shoot it here: which of you guys will vote for a mix of 1xV30 and 1xG12t75 in a 2x12 cab, and who for 2xV30's ?
ps: i know allready that kozrog is for 2xv30's :D

kaomao said:
No V stands for Vintage and in fact all marshall cabs with 'V' letter have V30's.
1960A and 1960B are cabs loaded with g12T75, while 1960AV and 1960AV have V30's.

ZzzzzZzzzzZzzzzZzzzzzzz......... Just check on the marshall website for gods sake... http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=ExtCabs&pagetype=SPECS&pageNumber=2

Edit: Just realized that my comment could have been less spiteful, so sorry about that. I too used to think that the 1960V had V30 speakers. Until someone here pointed out that it doesnt, a year ago or so.

The Marshall 1960 AV/BV Cabs have Celestion V30's in them. Marshall doesn't have any proprietary Celestion designs. It's basically the same speaker with a different label slapped on them. The power rating difference is probably just due to different measurement guidelines. You can measure by peak performance, average performance, etc. So, it's the same speaker. Mesa, however, does have a proprietary V30 design (Black Shadow V30). It's not much different at all, but they are still made in the England factory using more traditional methods versus the rest which are now being manufactured in China. Mesa also uses 8 ohm V30's versus the 16 ohms that's in Marshall cabs. According to Mesa techs, the reason they chose this design was for a tighter attack with more bite.

silverwulf said:
The Marshall 1960 AV/BV Cabs have Celestion V30's in them. Marshall doesn't have any proprietary Celestion designs. It's basically the same speaker with a different label slapped on them. The power rating difference is probably just due to different measurement guidelines. You can measure by peak performance, average performance, etc. So, it's the same speaker. Mesa, however, does have a proprietary V30 design (Black Shadow V30). It's not much different at all, but they are still made in the England factory using more traditional methods versus the rest which are now being manufactured in China. Mesa also uses 8 ohm V30's versus the 16 ohms that's in Marshall cabs. According to Mesa techs, the reason they chose this design was for a tighter attack with more bite.

That's very interesting, I had no idea about this. Do you know this as a fact? Would be interesting if someone had done an A/B test to be sure.

makes it sense to change my g12t-65's for g12t-75?
What the difference?
I have already a cab with v30s and sounds great but has less lows imo.

G12t65 was marshall stock speaker back in the JCM800 era, they sound pretty close to 75 imo, maybe slightly more trebly. Never did an AB/test though.
I don't like them much but if you like it, you 'll probably like the 75's. Not sure it make sense to change 65's for 75's.
About the v30, less lows means more room for the bass, so it's not a real problem if you ask me.

The V30s are more direct, sound more in you're face when miked.
OK when you make recordings in D, no problem. But I was wondering for the real low tuned stuff like B.