Vanden Plas (I'm looking at you Bryant)

Igor_Cavalera

Apr 27, 2004
Australia
I've heard some MP3s of these people and loved them. Could anyone recommend and album? And tell me what you think about the band?

I've noticed that you mention them a lot Bryant, so I'm guessing you would know best :D

I was also "pushed" by Bryant a bit ;) and bought "Beyond Daylight". An awesome album that is indeed !!

Sorry. The truth is, I have been working overtime for days and am flat out worn out, so I missed this post.

I would go with vanden Plas's latest "Beyond Daylight" if you like melodic metal. If you want something a little heavier, go for "Far Off Grace" which is the release prior to BD. If you dig their sound, I would get at least their last three which is the two I mentioned and "The God Thing." One of the coolest things about the band is their consistant quality. I couldn't honestly recommend one of those three releases much higher than the other two. They are all different, but still sound like Vanden Plas.

Bryant

P.S. I forgot to mention both "The God Thing" and "Far Off Grace" are now available in special editions with bonus tracks.

Bryant said:
P.S. I forgot to mention both "The God Thing" and "Far Off Grace" are now available in special editions with bonus tracks.
Actually I bought "The God Thing" some years ago with a bonus cd, but maybe it was a special french edition, I couldn't tell.
And "Far Off Grace" came out here in a digibook, but no bonus tracks if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks Bryant, sounds like I'll have to pick up the three of them.

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to reply even though you must be tired.

Igor_Cavalera said:
Thanks Bryant, sounds like I'll have to pick up the three of them.

P.S. Thanks for taking the time to reply even though you must be tired.

Hey it's no problem. I still come here, I just haven't been able to post and reply as much as "normal" and I somehow missed this post. Everyone has different tastes, but if you have heard MP3s and dig their sound, I can absolutely guarantee you will like all three of those releases. Look for "special editions of both "The God Thing" and "Far Off grace" as they contain bonus tracks. As I said in the other reply, you can't top the "quality" of the releases. There aren't many bands I can think of wiith the consistancy of Vanden Plas. I don't know when the creative well will run dry with these guys, but as far as I am concerned, they have already released three masterpieces back to back to back. I can say that about very few bands.

Bryant

Hey...let's not forget "Colour Temple"...that is such a great album...hard to believe it's a debut!

All four of their albums are great...oddly enough, the one I never warmed up to was Far Off Grace...don't ask me why...just didn't move me like the others...

Rock on!

ashaman7122 said:
Hey...let's not forget "Colour Temple"...that is such a great album...hard to believe it's a debut!

All four of their albums are great...oddly enough, the one I never warmed up to was Far Off Grace...don't ask me why...just didn't move me like the others...

Rock on!

Nothing wrong with "Colour Temple" either. I just think they "found" their sound on their sophomore release "The God Thing" but that's just me.

Bryant

Igor_Cavalera said:
Man.. I can't wait to get these albums :headbang:

And I hope your over-working comes to an end soon, it must really suck.

Well I am hourly. Everything over 40 is 1.5 and Sundays is double time. It looks good on the bank statement at least.

Bryant

Some VP news? Here we go :

German progressive metallers VANDEN PLAS have finished writing new 15 songs and are planning on recording 10 of them for their upcoming album, tentatively due in early 2005. In addition, the band are working on a rock musical entitled "Monte Cristo". The new VANDEN PLAS album will also be based on this topic.

Commented guitarist Stephan Lill: "First we wanted to do an album called 'Monte Cristo', which should have been kind of a rock musical. But after a while we realized that it would be very hard to find a good solution regarding the songwriting. If the songs are too hard, no one in the theater-scene would listen to them. If they are too soft, our fans could be a bit irritated. At the end we felt limited in both ways. So we decided to make a regular VANDEN PLAS album (based on Monte Cristo) and a musical (called 'Monte Cristo'). This way we are free to write some heavy stuff and in the same way we are free to write theater-like songs which aren't heavy at all. That's the best solution for us, and hopefully nobody will be disappointed!

"The musical will star different singers. Hopefully it will be played at a theater someday, but right now I don't even know if it will ever be recorded because that would be a big challenge. We just started the songwriting of the musical, and if you think about what is necessary to create a musical, you can imagine that it will take a longer time to realize that. Anyway, for the moment our regular CD is the most important thing, we have to finish that first."

In other news, VANDEN PLAS singer Andy Kuntz will release the debut album from his solo project, ABYDOS, on August 30 through InsideOut Music. Entitled "Abydos: The Little Boy's Heavy Mental Shadow Opera About The Inhabitants Of His Diary" (view cover here), the CD will feature the following track listing:

01. The Inhabitants Of His Diary
02. You Broke The Sun
03. Silence
04. Far Away From Heaven
05. Coppermoon (The Other Side)
06. Hyperion Sunset
07. God's Driftwood
08. Radio Earth
09. Abydos
10. Green's Guidance For A Stategy Adventure Game
11. Wildflowersky
12. A Boy Named Fly

Audio samples can currently be downloaded at this location.

ABYDOS' music is said to be "inspired by the spirit of progressive rock music of the Seventies." Songwriting for the album was completed by Kuntz, Stephan Glass and Michael Krauss. Glass had previously worked on the recording of the acoustic VANDEN PLAS album "AcCult" and was the band's sound engineer on the European tour with ANGRA. VANDEN PLAS drummer Andreas Lill also appears on the CD.

Bryant said:
Well I am hourly. Everything over 40 is 1.5 and Sundays is double time. It looks good on the bank statement at least.

Bryant

I know...I work in a so called "American" shift system. 7 days work and 2 days off...every 2 days changing of shifts (day,late, night) , so we run 3 different shifts on 7 days (weekend 3 days same shift). It's pretty tiring but pays well, and I've got about 90 days to take off (including extra's becouse I follow some evening courses)...but now... 14 days off !!!!! :Smokin:
But I think the lady will put me at work at home :ill: