Vanden Plas vs Circus Maximus vs Redemption

Which of these bands do you like best?

• Total voters
Agreed, as it has been 3 years since Redemption played, but with the Vanden Plas track record for visas ehhhhhhhh don't know.

I doubt they'd be able to come and play that soon. Plus, I think it would be a risk from Glenn's side. I could be wrong, but let's just say that Vanden Plas is booked again and they had to cancel their performance a third time, some folk may start questioning the festival's/Glenn's credibility, which wouldn't be good.

I doubt they'd be able to come and play that soon. Plus, I think it would be a risk from Glenn's side. I could be wrong, but let's just say that Vanden Plas is booked again and they had to cancel their performance a third time, some folk may start questioning the festival's/Glenn's credibility, which wouldn't be good.
Well, couldn't he just have Nevermore ready to go as a backup?

It is tough between Vanden Plas and Redemption, but Redemption has had the higher highs, so they get the vote.

I never got the love for Circus Maximus on this board. To me, they are very generic prog metal with nothing that really grabs me. This is after seeing them live twice and owning their first album.

Each of these bands have in my opinion, one particularly strong point about them:

Circus Maximus - Strong songwriting with the catchiest, most melodic and memorable vocal melodies in the genre. Also, they have the advantage of having a singer who, in my opinion, has one of the best vocals of the whole metal genre.

Redemption - No band has been able to mix emotion in their songs (lyrics and vocals, especially) with the "heavy" aspect better than Redemption does. In my opinion, they offer one of the most complete progressive metal sounds there are. It's heavy, it's melodic, it's technical, it's compelling... all in the same level.

Vanden Plas - Like I stated in previous posts, there's something about Vanden Plas that is very special. Their songwriting is so refined, it's not even funny. Their song structures are really great. Add that to a band that has been playing together for a long time, the end result is quite a treat.

All of these bands are amazing, and I get just as excited about every time they release something new. However, if I had to pick in order, it would be CM, followed closely by Redemption and Vanden Plas.

No contest for Me..
Vanden Plas... With Redemption not too far behind and Circus Maximus barely registering on my radar...

Circus Maximus? Really?

:rolleyes::loco: On the other foot, DT has releases that easily surpass anything these 3 have put out. Fact: I&W and Awake are the standard by which these 3's releases are held. They have yet to release anything that good.

Being on top of the pyramid is not a problem for DT.;)

l knew when l threw DT in there that somebody would bite. :cool:

I had to go Vanden Plas with Circus Maximus a very close second. VP just has the catalog to back them up.

I'm biting on the DT issue. I&W is astounding. An influence to anyone. I do feel, however, that after Awake the remainder of their releases (and I have them) just appeared to be self indulgent on their part. Not taking anything away from their talent. I wish I had an ounce of Petrucci's chops.

Though this wasn't easy, I chose Redemption. I'll break this down in as concise a manner as I can:

Vanden Plas definitely has seniority, and with that seniority comes an incredible catalog of some of the best prog ever written. "Colour Temple" was a solid debut, and each release since then has been a slight improvement on the last. The musicians are top notch without being the slightest bit overindulgent, and Andy Kuntz has one of the most distinctive voices in the genre. To top it off, they're a killer live act. The only thing that keeps them from getting my vote is the time it takes for them to release material. Each album is well worth the wait, but Redemption seems to be catching up to them in the album race rather quickly with the same consistency. Whereas Vanden Plas took eight years to put out their first stellar four albums, Redemption only took six. Since "Beyond Daylight," Vanden Plas has taken the Blind Guardian approach of spending four years on each subsequent album. If Redemption keeps things up at the pace they've been taking, both bands will have the same number of albums by 2015. Considering that Redemption started releasing albums nine years after Vanden Plas, that's extremely impressive.

Circus Maximus, though having two incredible albums under their belts, is still pretty green on the scene compared to the other two bands. In addition, their sound is a little more derivative than that of the other two bands. If album number three can keep the momentum that the first two had going, then they'll definitely make their way up the pyramid of prog a little further. These guys certainly have the chops and the songwriting ability to do it. Besides, Michael Eriksen is quite alright in my book. Not only is he a class act as a singer, but he gave me props as well!

As for Redemption, the newest album is what put them at the top of this heap for me. I really enjoyed the first album. It wasn't perfect, but it showed a ton of promise, especially for a band that wasn't originally meant to be an ongoing project. I think I can speak for a lot of folks here when I say that "The Fullness Of Time" came out and coldcocked us. Not only did the band continue with a more stable lineup, but they went above and beyond expectations. Then they did it again with "The Origins Of Ruin!" At this point, it was like the first album was a promising appetizer, the sophomore effort was the most wicked soup or salad you've ever had, and the third release was a filet mignon cooked to perfection. Just when you thought this date was over, you ended up having the most mind-blowing sex of your life with "Snowfall On Judgment Day!" I don't know if or how they'll top this one, but then again, I said the same thing about "The Origins Of Ruin." I know that I expressed my disappointment with Ray Alder's performance immediately following ProgPower VIII, but I've watched the video a few times since then and realized it wasn't nearly as bad as I originally thought. That said, Ray admits that he was in a bad place at the time, and that can definitely affect your performance. Seeing him with Fates last year proved to me that he can still deliver, and now I'm confident that future performances with Redemption will be better than ever.

Well, that wasn't long-winded now, was it?

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert