Vanden Plas vs Circus Maximus vs Redemption

Which of these bands do you like best?

• Total voters
(And I'm determined to get my hands on a copy of Ludus Danielis after watching the video - WOW)

You CAN buy both the stage plays of Abydos and Ludus Danielis on DVD. However, they are only available in Europe, unless you can find an importer...... Ken at Lasercd maybe ? The bad thing is though they are supposedly region 0 (region free) they are in Pal format and you would either need a special DVD player or play it on your PC.

net/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=f3633ba4f16434974b7250d5d6fecf1d[/URL]

Here is some Christ0 stuff..... as well.

http://www.vandenplas-shop.de/products_new.php

Speaking of Christ0, the VP guys also did Christ0, but so far no news on a DVD.

Here is a clip from Abydos...

Bryant

I edited the webshop out. I am having a hard time contacting them.......

Bryant

Last edited by a moderator:
I love VP but these four words swayed my vote:

The Fullness of Time

I think it is actually his inner self coming out... he knows he loves VP.

Question for Zod: who does Paula love more? I know my mate would choose VP if he had to pick. If for no other reason than... well, he just would.

S

Well..... probably more of the fact he would have to face our wrath. We have been working on him for too many years. >:p~

Bryant

It's hard to compare the 3 because they sound so different. Vanden Plas is soft and light while the other two FUCKING ROCK OUT. Then again, this poll isn't about comparison, it's about preference. I voted Redemption.

Go Redemption, GO! If only Zod knew how to vote we would be so much closer. :kickass:
:lol: So true.

Dyslexia, perhaps?
Aixelsyd? That's just crazy talk.

Question for Zod: who does Paula love more?
Pretty sure it would be VP 1st, with CM coming in 2nd.

Whenever I play something in the car that Paula likes, she asks who it is. I think the first dozen times I played Vanden Plas with her in the car, she asked who it was, or she would request the band whose name she could never remember.

I know my mate would choose VP if he had to pick. If for no other reason than... well, he just would.
Because of the vocals?

Well..... probably more of the fact he would have to face our wrath. We have been working on him for too many years. >:p~
Honestly, in the world of Prog, it's like 1A, 1B and 1C. In the end for me, Nick's lyrics are the difference maker. I think he's one the best lyricists in Metal... easily Top 5 (if not #1).

Circus Maximus wins with me because of vocals alone. I also think they have some of the catchiest melodies of any prog band i've heard. I like the AOR/prog blend.

Redemption comes in 2nd. Although I like Snowfall on Judgement Day, a lot of the songs sound the same to me. Origins of Ruin was epic though.

Vanden Plas. The singer ruins this band for me. I just don't think he's very strong vocally, and a lot of their stuff sounds the same. I almost get a droning effect when listening to their music. I can't think of any stand-out songs from them.

Circus Maximus wins with me because of vocals alone. I also think they have some of the catchiest melodies of any prog band i've heard. I like the AOR/prog blend.

Redemption comes in 2nd. Although I like Snowfall on Judgement Day, a lot of the songs sound the same to me. Origins of Ruin was epic though.

Vanden Plas. The singer ruins this band for me. I just don't think he's very strong vocally, and a lot of their stuff sounds the same. I almost get a droning effect when listening to their music. I can't think of any stand-out songs from them.

Interesting. The reason I actually don't like Circus Maximus is because of the vocals more than anything else. And I think the vocals in Vanden Plas puts them ahead. Again, interesting.

Honestly, I'm amazed that there's even a debate. I like Circus Maximus a lot, and Redemption is decent (I haven't heard their albums, but have seen them live a couple of times), but Vanden Plas is operating at a level beyond those bands. I'd consider Threshold and maybe Evergrey to be closer peers.

Given Evergrey's last couple of releases, I'd think it would be blasphemy to even compare them to Vanden Plas or Redemption. Evergrey post Recreation is pretty mediocre in my opinion.

Threshold kills, though.

Mediocre is the right word. Torn had a couple of good songs, but overall it kinda sucked. Monday Morning Apocalypse was a disaster, total trainwreck in my opinion. Maybe it's just that me and a *lot* of other people got totally burned out from too much Evergrey (that looooong set at ProgPower a few years ago was probably the catalyst). I will admit that I haven't enjoyed listening to a whole Evergrey album since that.

Given Evergrey's last couple of releases, I'd think it would be blasphemy to even compare them to Vanden Plas or Redemption. Evergrey post Recreation is pretty mediocre in my opinion.

Threshold kills, though.

Damn, I loved Torn. I guess the honeymoon isn't over yet for me and Evergrey. Pretty good considering it's been a decade since I first heard them.

Redemption hands down for me. Origins of Ruin is an amazing cd, was so cool to hear those songs live. Vanden Plas never did much for me, but the new cd is pretty cool. Circus Maximus comes in 2nd, i love the 1st Chapter.