Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
VARIOUS ARTISTS – IDENTITY 8
Century Media - 2003

By Rodrigo Escandon

identity8.jpg

As the title obviously implies, this is now Century Media’s eight release of their Identity series, an affordable compilation of releases pertaining to the year it is released, in this case 2003. We are offered 18 songs from already released albums, from import releases as well as advance tracks.

There are some great songs like “Needled 24/7” (Children of Bodom), “Deadworld” (Shadows Fall), “The Prophet” (Labyrinth), “Grace for Succession” (Extol), “I, Voyager” (Nevermore) and “Macabre Apparition” (Nightrage).

Identity 8 also gave me the opportunity to listen to new material from Moonspell, Watch Them Die, Krisiun, The Forsaken, Skinlab and Into Eternity and out of all those the songs that made me the most excited about for their new albums were for Moonspell, Watch Them Die and Into Eternity. The new Krisiun has a better sound than their previous album but it is the same old band as was the case with the new The Forsaken song and I have never been a fan of Skinlab.

There were also a few songs that I did not care too much about like “With all the Pride and Dignity of a Drowning Summer” (Haste), “I Die Slowly” (Passenger), “Leader of the Rats” (Arch Enemy) and “Bullet Proof God Material” (Carnal Forge.

Compilations are something that I do not get too excited about, I never make my own compilations to begin with so having a label do one for me is not something I look forward to. It does offer the opportunity to sample new songs for upcoming releases and that may be the best idea of compilations.

Century Media Website