Velvet Revolver-Contraband 2004

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
Velvet Revolver-Contraband 2004

RCA Records

www.velvetrevolver.com/

www.rcarecords.com/

B00020NPZA.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The measuring bar was set high for this project, by fans of Slash & Duff. I too had very high expectations & was eagerly awaiting the release date. Scott Weiland’s voice hasn’t ever sounded as strong as it did on STP’s "Core" record. After hearing the first single "Slither," I wasn’t moved by his vocals, but the band sounded tight. If you’re looking for anything sounding even close to Gun‘n Roses, you’d better pick up another record. Contraband has it’s moments, unfortunately the majority of the songs appear to have been "rushed" & are uninspiring. The true disappointment, is how muddled Slash is on this record. I was hoping that he would have some ripping solos & riffs that would be noteworthy. The record with 13 tracks, manages to drag on a bit. 10 tracks would have been sufficient & the addition of the awful "Set Me Free," from last summer’s box office disaster The Hulk is proof. Slash & Duff have insisted that "this is a band & not a side project," and Weiland in a recent interview stated that "Velvet Revolver is the band that he will be in until he retires from Rock ‘n Roll." Does that sound like famous last words? We’ll see what actually happens when the record tanks & Weiland, returns to "his old habits." If you’d like to hear a decent records by members of Velvet Revolver, check out Snake Pit’s "Ain’t Life Grand," The Cult’s "Beyond Good & Evil," & Neurotic Outsiders’ self titled disc. You remember the list of vocalists that auditioned for this band? Sebastian Bach, Joshua Todd & 2 to 3 others? Surely they would have been more suitable for this band?

SIXXSWINE-

The Band:

Scott Weiland-Vocals

Slash-Guitar

Dave Kushner-Guitar

Duff-Bass

Matt Sorum-Drums

The Music:

1.) Sucker Train Blues-:erk:

2.) Do It for the Kids-:erk:

3.) Big Machine-:erk:

4.) Illegal i Song-:ill:

5.) Spectacle-:ill:

6.) Fall to Pieces-:ill:

7.) Headspace-:ill:

8.) Superhuman-:erk:

9.) Set Me Free-:yuk:

10.) You got no Right-:erk:

11.) Slither-:yuk:

12.) Dirty Little Thing-:erk:

13.) Loving the Alien-:yuk:

Yeah I pretty much agree with this. Aint Life Grand was a better record than this - Scott Weiland doesn't suit this band at all - he makes the songs sound like a million other run of the mill rock bands, and at times it sounds like fucking Blink 182 or some shite like that. Sebastian Bach would have been PERFECT for this band.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
Scott Weiland doesn't suit this band at all... Sebastian Bach would have been PERFECT for this band.
I was hoping for a "good" record...
And it wasn't even close to "good."
Weiland is a strange choice, what does that say about
the other guys?
Bach or any of the others that auditioned, would have
been a much better fit.

SIXXSWINE-

Errr, well, err..actually... I've kinda changed my opinion a bit. After listening to this a few times, I think it's a fucking good record. Like everything G N' R guys have done since they split, it lacks a certain "magic" (for magic dont read Axl, read Izzy, or in Izzy's solo albums case read "Slash"). I honestly think this is a good record with some amazing riffs (hey what the fuck'd you expect from Slash!?) but it needs Izzy on it. Just like Izzy's solo records like "River" lacked Slash's rock guitar, this lacks Izzy's rockin' rythm guitar - until those two guys get it together again there wont be another album like Appetite.
For now though - Velvet Revolver is a decent stab (I still think Weiland sounds like Blin 182 on some songs though).

Yeah, I like it. I don't love it and it's not as good as "Ain't Life Grand" but it's good. 3.5/5 maybe? Hopefully the next one will have more solos, less commercial pop-punk sounding harmony choruses and IZZY FUCKIN' STRADLIN!

not bad on first listen ... but really has no replay potential.
Weiland turns every song into a downer ...