Very cool list of GREAT bands from Brazil

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
The other day I read a pretty senseless comment by someone saying that "there's not that many good bands in Brazil", and I was thinking about it and figured that not that many of those seem to be known by some people here in the board....

So I had the fantastic(?!?) idea of compiling a list of great Progressive and Power metal bands that come from Brazil so maybe you guys can check... Who knows, maybe your next favorite band is among these...

Angra - I guess this needs no introduction
Shaaman - This shouldn't need either, but in any case, this is Andre Matos' (former Angra) "new" band.
Tribuzy - Already discussed another thread, can't miss this one!
Mindflow - Excellent technical Progressive Metal out through Nightmare Records.
Tuatha de Danann - Some people may hate this... It's a Folkloric/Celtic Metal band with some Prog influences... Odd, but good.
Holy Sagga (former Sagga) - Very good power metal a la Angra.
Viper - Quite a classic, first band featuring Matos when he was only 15. They have a new line up now.
Dead Nature - Impressive Prog metal band with some power and thrashy influences.
Atlantida - Melodic Prog Metal with some hard rock parts... It's been selling amazingly well on CD Inzane and Laser's Edge and it sounds great.
Akashic - Another progressive metal band with great vocals and musicianship that puts many bands out there to shame.
Sleepwalker Sun - A Prog Metal band with female vocals that is very progressive.
Amazon - Nightwish-like power metal.
Harllequin - New band featuring ex Dark Avenger vocalist. Dark and heavy.
Toccata Magna - Progressive Power metal with Andean influences.
Eterna - Power metal band with Christian themed lyrics.
Khallice - One of the most technical Prog Metal bands from Brazil, they're called Brazil's Dream Theater.
Dragonheart
- Power metal band a la Blind Guardian.
Dr. Sin - Hard Rock outfit that steps into metal lots of times.
Heavens Guardian - Power metal band. Good vocalist.
Venin Noir - If you like deep operatic vocals with a little Savatage-like vibe, you will like these guys. Former band of our friend of the forum, Angrafan.
Thoten - Great power metal band that used to feature Tribuzy on vocals.
Symbols - They used to have Edu Falaschi as vocalist. Power and Prog at times.
Fates Prophecy - Good Power Metal band.
Nordheim - Heavy metal band, heavily influenced by Maiden and Priest.
Imago Mortis - Excellent Progressive Power metal band.
Heavenfalls - Great female fronted power metal!
Hibria - Kick ass metal! Period.
Aquaria - Good Holy Land-era-Angra-like (too much sometimes) band.
Thalion - Power metal band with female vocals. They are a bit too young and still have to find their identity. First album not bad at all.

If you guys want their websites to check them out (and hear them), I can provide ya! Enjoy! :headbang:

Pretty cool list!

Out of those bands my favorite is, by far, Imago Mortis! Vida- The play of change is one of the best metal CDs EVER released in Brazil... GREAT CD... I'd change your discription a bit... They are certainly a doom band.. Very progressive/weird and melodic, but the foundation of their music is doom!

I also love my boys from Dead Nature! :) Great band... Great guys!

Angrafan,

If I had a record label like you and had signed a kick ass band like Dead Nature, I would also call them "my boys" and say that "I Love them"....

LOL

Dead Nature rules... ESPECIALLY the singer! \m/

You forgot to mention Eyes of Shiva - an Angra like band (Rebirth era) that uses some Brazilian folk in their music. They also have an excellent singer.

Good list, but Viper disbanded in '96 I think, they didn't fare too well without Matos. Shaaman still plays some of their stuff though.

AngraRULES said:
The other day I read a pretty senseless comment by someone saying that "there's not that many good bands in Brazil", and I was thinking about it and figured that not that many of those seem to be known by some people here in the board....
Forget prog/power. What about Elis Regina, Bebel Gilberto, Toninho Horta, Maria Rita, Marisa Monte, Badi Assad, Zuco 103, Suba, Federico Aubele, Gotan Project, Daniela Mercury? :)

Joe

How did you guys end up into those bands? Are y'all from Brazil? Some of them are just amazing! I checked almost all of them. Also, the new guitarist in CELLADOR and the singer in ADAGIO are from Brazil. Just my two cents lol