Very Simple ReAmp Question...

This is probably a pretty stupid and obvious question, but I'd just like it to be cleared up for me. I'm not exactly sure how to use the Reamp unit, do you just run the guitar through a direct box, and record the direct signal as well as the amped signal, and then you run the line signal through the Reamp, which then connects to the amp? I really can't think of any other way, but I was always under the impression the Reamp did everything.

can you use a passive DI in reverse for the same effect?

also, is it necessary to use a DI when plugging in to an interface like the motu 828? it has 2 "instrument" inputs which I think are the inputs which have preamps? (actually I have tried plugging the guitar directly in the inputs which have the preamps and in the ones with don't and I couldn't hear any difference, should there be one?)

do you use preamps after the pickups?

zenx said:
can you use a passive DI in reverse for the same effect?

also, is it necessary to use a DI when plugging in to an interface like the motu 828? it has 2 "instrument" inputs which I think are the inputs which have preamps? (actually I have tried plugging the guitar directly in the inputs which have the preamps and in the ones with don't and I couldn't hear any difference, should there be one?)

do you use preamps after the pickups?
they're not preamps as in the preamps in a guitar head.. they are mic pres. hope that helps.

James Murphy said:
they're not preamps as in the preamps in a guitar head.. they are mic pres. hope that helps.

hmmm. well I don't have the manual, so I asked support about these inputs and this is what they replied: "The first two 1/4"-XLR "Mic / Guitar" inputs are for low-Z mic inputs or high-Z guitar inputs. The other 1/4" analog inputs are for +4 line level inputs. The analog outputs are all +4 line level. You will not need a DI box if you are using the 1/4"-XLR Mic/Guitar inputs, but you will if you are using the other 1/4" only inputs"
I don't really understand how an input can be a low-Z and a high-Z input at the same time, but what bothers me more is when I plug directly into the different inputs they mention, it seems as the sound is not changing. Am I missing something here or are they really different types of inputs? Do I need the DI?
I put up two clips (wav and mp3) of an ESP ltd with emg hz pickups plugged directly into the "non-guitar" +4 line level inputs:

http://www.velvetstab.com/temp/zenx-di-or-not-di.wav
http://www.velvetstab.com/temp/zenx-di-or-not-di.mp3

Is this sounding/looking right to you, or would I need a DI on this input?

zenx said:
hmmm. well I don't have the manual, so I asked support about these inputs and this is what they replied: "The first two 1/4"-XLR "Mic / Guitar" inputs are for low-Z mic inputs or high-Z guitar inputs. The other 1/4" analog inputs are for +4 line level inputs. The analog outputs are all +4 line level. You will not need a DI box if you are using the 1/4"-XLR Mic/Guitar inputs, but you will if you are using the other 1/4" only inputs"
I don't really understand how an input can be a low-Z and a high-Z input at the same time, but what bothers me more is when I plug directly into the different inputs they mention, it seems as the sound is not changing. Am I missing something here or are they really different types of inputs? Do I need the DI?
I put up two clips (wav and mp3) of an ESP ltd with emg hz pickups plugged directly into the "non-guitar" +4 line level inputs:

http://www.velvetstab.com/temp/zenx-di-or-not-di.wav
http://www.velvetstab.com/temp/zenx-di-or-not-di.mp3

Is this sounding/looking right to you, or would I need a DI on this input?
well, those inputs are Nuetrik multi-connectors.. so the XLR part is low z and the 1/4" part is high z.. just a guess mind you... i always use a Class A discrete direct box.

Okay... Total newbie questions here that I'd like to add. I'm not trying to hijack the thread, I just think that it'd probably better to have the questions in the same place instead of starting up a brand new thread. I'm trying to understand ReAmping, as it is something that still confuses me...

The problem I've had with my band's recordings is that we usually don't have a consistant guitar sound throughout the recordings, and if I understand reamping correctly it could greatly assist us in having a consistant sound.

"Run the guitar through a direct box, and record the direct signal as well as the amped signal, and then you run the line signal through the Reamp, which then connects to the amp"

What is the purpose of recording the amped signal? Is this for reference to see if the playing is a keeper take or does this have something to do with the the actual reamping process?

As I understand reamping (correct me if I'm wrong here), you record initially, obtaining the direct signal from the guitar (just the raw signal, nothing at all other than the playing) and a processed/distorted signal for reference. You listen back to the recorded distorted guitar and decide if its a keeper, then you can continue recording other parts. Then after the fact you use the direct signal with the reamp box into your amplifier with the micing all setup and then dial in the proper tone to use across all of your tracks in your recording. Is this correct?

Another question based around my assumption on the reamping process above. We hear about multiple guitar tracks going at once in recordings (but all playing the samet hing). Is this some number of seperately recorded tracks or just the direct signal reamped to a bunch of times with different amp settings?

Can anyone help an uneducated person out? Where is my newbie hat when I need it, geesh. I'm pretty sure it looks something like the Cat in the hat's hat. o_O

I'm no expert Enmity, but I think you nailed the reamping process there. I've never used this technique (can't facilitate it) but it definately sounds like a great way to save time in the studio.

With the multiple tracks... you can do both reamping a number of times to add a different and unique texture to your tone, as James cited above, or you can play the same part multiple times to give the illusion of extra thickness.

The normal process is that you'd record the same part at least two times and then pan each take hard left and hard right respectively. From there you would decide whether you'd want to add more dubs to 'thicken' up the sound. After this process you might choose to reamp the signal from these takes into a different amp with different settings which you would then overlay over the existing takes to add a different tonality and texture to the sound.

James Murphy said:
i always use a Class A discrete direct box.

What would be some good brands / products to look into that are reasonably priced (ie, not like $1000 or somethin' like that)?

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before, but 'search' was taken away so I can't quickly look for the info.

One more small question and then I'll shush... What about signal degradation; is that not an issue?

Moonlapse said:
I'm no expert Enmity, but I think you nailed the reamping process there. I've never used this technique (can't facilitate it) but it definately sounds like a great way to save time in the studio.

With the multiple tracks... you can do both reamping a number of times to add a different and unique texture to your tone, as James cited above, or you can play the same part multiple times to give the illusion of extra thickness.

The normal process is that you'd record the same part at least two times and then pan each take hard left and hard right respectively. From there you would decide whether you'd want to add more dubs to 'thicken' up the sound. After this process you might choose to reamp the signal from these takes into a different amp with different settings which you would then overlay over the existing takes to add a different tonality and texture to the sound.

Thanks Moonlapse! (PS That video from your signature is awesome).

Enmity said:
One more small question and then I'll shush... What about signal degradation; is that not an issue?

Hahaha ! =) Don't worry too much about it, if you record at a good sample rate with a good resolution (24 bits), using good plugs and cables, and using the high impedance (High-Z) In of your soundcard (or a DI box), you'll be ok. Don't forget that this signal will be injected into a (more than likely) very high gain amp, so even a slight distortion from time to time on your DI tracks are not a problem (but don't make it a square wave of course). Now for recording clean guitars, or maybe some ultra sweet lead work, this is probably not as true.

Just a question... isn't a reamp box a signal splitter anyway? I presume you'd have two outputs, one going DI into whatever medium you're recording on and the other going into an amp, or whatever other monitoring equipment so you can get somewhat of a refference of how you played.

Moonlapse said:
Just a question... isn't a reamp box a signal splitter anyway? I presume you'd have two outputs, one going DI into whatever medium you're recording on and the other going into an amp, or whatever other monitoring equipment so you can get somewhat of a refference of how you played.

not really. check the http://www.reamp.com/ It is a plain simple reamp box. no splitting.

Hi All
Today I get my brandnew Reamp from John Cuniberti. But what should I say, the way I unpack it first the rubber feets fall of!!! WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT????
Have I now to fear that the whole unit falls apart? :D