Very vintage Mics...

Gonzo666

Fretworker
Jun 3, 2005
Germany
So...the new years is starting very promising. First of all:
The Father of my girlfriend came to me on the weekend and said: "I've cleaned up the basement and I found something that could be usefull for you..."
So he gave me 4 mics...
The first one was a sennheiser MD 421. This is the only mic i am familiar with...
the others were:
-Sennheiser MD 211
-shure brothers modell 330 (ribbon mic)
-another shure brothers mic (don't know the model name, but it looks like a SM 58)
Has anyone one of you experience with the last 3 mics? The MD 421 is a great addition, but i don't know if the others are usefull.

of course i will test them...the problem is the damn connection. the shure mics have an xlr connection...so that won't be the problem. but the sennheisers have this tuchel connectors. first i have to find the right adapters. perhaps I can run a test on the weekend...let's see what happens :)

That's pretty awesome. I bet the Shure 330 is a rad mic, they used to use it for Johnny Carson's voice back in the day.

BTW as long as your stuff is wired properly phantom power won't/shouldn't damage ribbon mics. Most vintage consoles don't even have the OPTION to turn off the phantom power.