Video for Nightwish "Bye Bye Beautiful"

Well, I haven't heard all the new album, but so far Nightwish are two for two. I'm very picky when it comes to talent in songwriting (which is to me is very different from skills and musicianship). When it comes to writing, Nightwish have it. And its all about Tuomas if you ask me. The best musicians base their melodies around the piano and build the guitar and other instruments off it. The piano really is the best instrument for writing any kind of melodic music (even if you're an all guitar band), and Tuomas knows what he's doing. I give him cred.

And vocals are very important for me, but the way the vocal melodies are written are much more important.

You can complain about the departure from the operatic singing style, but I really believe every good album needs a few short tunes with exceptional choruses like "Bye Bye Beautiful" and "Amaranth."

I'll know for sure when the album comes out... which I VERY much look forward to hearing.

Very clever video by the way!

Your Michael

You are so right on in your assessment of Nightwish, and I am glad to see your comments. By the way folks it was released today and Finland and sold over 43,000 copies for a new record for Finland

I've no problem with their new direction and I've loved every song I've heard thus far. Won't be picking up the album until Tuesday next week though.

I don't like it - it sounds similar to I Wish I Had an Angel, and I didn't like that either. Not a fan of disco.

I don't know, she doesn't have a bad voice but one of the things that was part of the Nightwish "sound" was the operatic vocals. This chick has a more contemporary, straightforward vocal style and it just isn't powerful...Tarja had a powerful voice. Putting an almost happy, poppy kind of voice in there like this just doesn't work in my opinion.

Plus, Emppu needs to dial in some mids! That's way too scooped, man.

Agreed.

But you must agree that Emppu has gone too far in scooping his mids.

You're the tech expert, not me. I like the Nightwish guitar sound. They place more emphasis on the keyboards and vocals than guitars, which suits their sound better.

Its similar to shooting film where you focus on the actors instead of the scenery around you. This song doesn't have any complicated guitar licks, so while its great to have them loud with that sharp metal sound, its unnecessary to draw focus to the guitars when the vocal melody is the real hook. I think upping the mid would take away from the lead melodies (via keyboard and vocals) and draw more attention to something that isn't written to be impressive anyway.

All bands are different. I don't believe in a one size fits all approach when it comes to guitar sounds or production.

Just my opinion...
The Michael

No, not at all. In fact this album is currently #2 favorite in the Nightwish catalog.

Nothing wrong with her voice. nothing wrong with the songs. You just can't please everyone.

At least they're not pulling a journey.

How many folks here would bitch if all they did was go out and hire a Tarja-clone? Think about that for a minute.

Whats youre favorite nightwish cd?

You're the tech expert, not me. I like the Nightwish guitar sound. They place more emphasis on the keyboards and vocals than guitars, which suits their sound better.

Its similar to shooting film where you focus on the actors instead of the scenery around you. This song doesn't have any complicated guitar licks, so while its great to have them loud with that sharp metal sound, its unnecessary to draw focus to the guitars when the vocal melody is the real hook. I think upping the mid would take away from the lead melodies (via keyboard and vocals) and draw more attention to something that isn't written to be impressive anyway.

All bands are different. I don't believe in a one size fits all approach when it comes to guitar sounds or production.

Just my opinion...
The Michael

;) I gotcha, was kind of a joke though. Guitar-oriented joke...wrong forums for that, probably! I'm just not a fan of the recto-with-zero-mids tone. For that matter I'm not a big fan of the recto itself...but here the guitars are largely just background rhythm so you're right, its not a major issue.

And BBB is quite an addictive song :)
YES! I have had it in my head since I first watched the video yesterday.

@nailz: Thanks for posting the second version. The sync thing was killing me too!

I think it's a great song........:headbang: can't wait to catch the live show!

Here are the lyrics... :) Daaaaaamn.... what did Tarja do to piss these boys off so much? They really don't like her. "Die, die beautiful?"

http://lyrics.songtext.name/Nightwish/Bye-Bye-Beautiful-220736.html
-------------
Finally the hills are without eyes
They are tired of painting a dead man’s face
Red with their own blood
They used to love having so much to lose
Blink your eyes just once and see everything in ruins

Did you ever hear what I told you?
Did you ever read what I wrote you?
Did you ever listen to what we played?
Did you ever let in what the world said?
Did we get this far just to feel your hate?
Did we play to become only pawns in the game?
How blind can you be, don’t you see?
You chose the long road, but we’ll be waiting

Bye bye, beautiful
Die die, beautiful

Think of those ???
??? for the blinded siblings wanting the dying hearth
Lose around a choking heart eternally torn apart
So toll now the funeral bell

No need to die
to true a lie

Bye bye, beautiful
Die die, beautiful
Bye bye, beautiful
Die die, beautiful

It’s not the tree that forsakes the flower
Not the flower that forsakes the tree
Some day I’ll learn to love this dance
???

How blind can you be, don’t you see
That the ???

Bye bye, beautiful
Die die, beautiful
Bye bye, beautiful
Die die, die die

Don't mince words, Tuomas. Tell us how you really feel....

Tuomas did in his song. He has too much class to say the EXACT words of how he feels. Would you rather he had wrote "Tarja, you ungrateful bitch/Why did you only think of yourself?/Why did you blow off your fans/why did you blow off your band?/You selfish, self-centered twit, you'll get yours coming." and come off like a complete jerk?

You don't think wishing death on somebody makes one come off like a complete jerk?

I don't think Tuomas wants Tarja to die, per se. I think what he really wants is the DIVA Tarja to die, and the Tarja he once knew reborn. If you take it in that context, then no, he is not a jerk.

Ah yes. The contextual argument, which when applied can have any statement or lyric mean whatever one wants it to. Already in this thread it's been used twice to deny this is song is a pot shot at Tarja, and to define "Die" as not really meaning "Die."

Well here's a context for you: Regardless of who's behavior led to Tarja's leaving the band, it's clear that Nightwish is deliberately attempting to heap as much public humiliation on her as they possibly can. This song/video in conjunction with the utterly gutless firing by an open internet letter, rather than face to face or at least tactfully in a private letter, make that rather self evident. Obviously they feel the need to participate in petty vindictiveness to express anger they either didn't have the balls to express to her face, or can't get over.

There are always two sides to every story, and in the end it doesn't matter who was more wrong. What matters is the behavior after the fact. In this case, regardless of the fanboys running around with hardons for Tuomas, Nightwish has been a pretty classless act.

It is a catchy tune though.