Viking/Folk/Pagan Metal Survey

Eirias

New Metal Member
Mar 6, 2011
Two years ago I was introduced to Viking metal by some of my online friends. I spent a summer in Sweden, and the people I met there encouraged me to combine my archaeological interests with my music interests. I am now working on an undergraduate research paper.

I am primarily exploring various genres of music that can be viewed as related to Vikings, particularly those in metal, and how these fans and musicians view the authenticity of this music. Smaller themes of interest also include cultural heritage and how it may affect a person’s perspective on the music.

I am looking for participants who would be willing to complete a short survey about their cultural background, interest in Viking related music, and views on authenticity. You do not need to be a community member to participate and all information will be kept confidential. A link to the survey is located below – it’s only 16 questions and should take around 5-10 minutes to complete.

Additionally, if you are interested in volunteering for a short interview (which can be done by email!), please contact me for more information. The interview questions are designed for more detailed responses related to authenticity. You may PM or email me. Please remember all responses will be kept anonymous and your name (including username) will not be used in the paper.

Any questions regarding the study may be sent to micah.thal@ttu.edu or my faculty supervisor Dr. Brett Houk at brett.houk@ttu.edu. You may also reply to this thread with any comments, questions, or whatever. I’m happy to provide more information about myself or the project to those interested!

If users are interested, I will also post back with the results once the project is completed.

Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TN6ZSCK