Viking Metal

S<issors

wins.
Jan 16, 2007
Quite a number of bands have made forays into this rather odd little subgenre over the years; Amon Amarth, Enslaved, and Bathory are a few that come to mind. What're your opinions of the different groups that have made an attempt at the subject matter? Any recommendations, beyond the obvious? Also, while I know Bathory and Enslaved are well-liked around these boards (deservedly...), how do you types feel about Amon Amarth?

Bathory is good, nothing that makes my head spin but they have some really cool songs. Enslaved is obviously fucking amazing, and Amon Amarth is crappy, uninspired half-assed melodeath, silly band.

i find Amon Amarth just okay....sometimes I can tolorate them....more often than not I find them boring and annoying metal....and really mundane sounding...in an epic sort of way....but my tastes are fairly weird so...

I don't like the term either, but i do like a fair few bands that some would shove under this genre title. Enslaved, Moonsorrow, Bathory, Ensiferum, Finntroll, Turisas (they're okay at times, really lame at other times) and i'm sure there's plenty more i can't think of atm.. It's really good to listen to when with mates and partying..

I like Amon Amarth. I like Viking Metal because, well, Viking stuff is tough shit. It just sounds manly. You can hear the sweat and blood dripping off the axes used to slay those recently conquered. It's catchy stuff.

I'll admit I love viking metal. Norse mythology has always fascinated me.

IMO Enslaved is the best. While I listen to bands that use more folk (ensiferum, falkenbach, etc.) Enslaved transcends what a viking metal band can do.

Amon Amarth is a waste of a band. I cant decipher between songs because of the repetition of melody and riffs. Every album is the same.

Well. It is ahaha! Bang on Finntroll and everyone joins in, whether they're a fan of the music or not.

Drum'n'bass is awesome music to listen to too.. Black Sun Empire <3 .. But seeing as most of my mates aren't into Drum'n'Bass, i tend to stick on metal songs.. And Folk/Viking metal always goes down a treat.

jasonmt0.png

I've been getting more and more into Enslaved. I'm not really that much into black metal, see, but I'm liking it more and more.

I like Amon, but as some others have pointed out, when you've heard one album, you've pretty much heard the others.

And I haven't heard Bathory as of this point. Been meaning to check them out.

I've been getting more and more into Enslaved. I'm not really that much into black metal, see, but I'm liking it more and more.

DHG, Agalloch, Bathory, Summoning and Enslaved are pretty much the only vaguely black metal-ish bands that I enjoy. In general I just find the vocal style obnoxious. Probably no coincidence that the black metal bands I like aren't very black-metally.