A Viking Metal Odyssey

Oct 26, 2002
RainbowLand
www.youtube.com
I have become very interested in the black metal sub genre of Viking Metal. It has always interested me, even when I knew nothing about it. Now bands like Vintersorg, Amon Amarth, and Bathory have become some of my favourite bands. And I intend to get into Borknagar and Finntroll.

There are some names of bands that I'm not familiar with, but they are among the big names in the genre. I wonder which ones I should get into...

Einherjer
Mithotyn
Thyrfing
Ensiferum
Falkenbach

hmmm wouldnt really call viking metal a sub genre to black metal, many of those bands dont really find their inspiration from black .... Viking metal is more likely a genre that takes inspiration from alot of different genres and mix im together .... as Amon Amarth sounds more death metal inspired and Thyrfing fx abit more powermetal inspired ....

but the bands mentioned are all good yes

Well I can differently recommend Ensiferum. It's just a damn shame that the singer left the band, now that I just got to know about them :yell:

Ensiferum is way awesome and yes it is a pity the singer left but think about it. Now there is 2 bands because there is still Ensiferum and now the singer has another band called Wintersun which I see as a heavier Ensiferum and is way awesome too so it is really win/win.

I recommend Falkenbach! It's one of my favourite bands. I think Finntroll is cool as well, but not really Viking... Well, Falkenbach is half Pagan I guess... if you like this I'd recommend Menhir! The new album is great, the olders more black metal I don't like...
The first Falkenbach album is the fastest. The latest is slower ans just one song is with black metal cawing voices... the second is between them two. I love ALL! But the last one most (for no cowings ^^). PS: I'm sure you know Otyg? It's folk metal, but great!!

Try Thyrfing! They are really good!
And of course Falkenbach because they are from my home city :p

Also nice are XIV Dark Centuries and Equilibrium :) They do Pagan Black Metal.

EDIT: how could I forget? If you want to listen to one of the best Viking Metal acts ever than lisen to TYR!
www.tyr.net
They are from Faroer Islands and do great music! (But I only like their faroeic and danish songs.)

Let me add another question... I just know music of Otyg by now and wonder which album of Vintersorg I shall try first... for there are so many & I don't know how they sound.
I like all about Otyg, but Metal as well as you see. I don't like cowing and shouting voices... so which one would be the best to start with?

Re: Zacharias

That's got to be a controversial question. It is like which is the best Vintersorg album. Vintersorg albums are usually not filled with black metal rasps or shrieking vocals but they tend to have some. First two albums, Till Fjalls ans Odemarkens Son are sung in Swedish and mr.V is accompanied by the beautiful voice of Cia Hedmark from Otyg. Female vocals really add to the sound. Last two albums (Visions from the Spiral Generator and The Focusing Blur), features Steve DiGiorgio on bass and in my opinion he really adds another dimension to the sound with his bass playing (he is sort of my heavy metal idol on bass, Gurol Agirbas and Victor Wooten being the bass players in jazz). So I would recommend Odemarkens Son if you like to have something with Cia Hedmark with some pastoral touches, or The Focusing Blur if you would like to have a more mature and distinctive sound. I must say that all Vintersorg albums have about the same quality of musicianship and songwriting. Therefore, you cannot lose whichever you choose.

Good Luck.

Thidrek said:
Try Thyrfing! They are really good!
And of course Falkenbach because they are from my home city :p

EDIT: how could I forget? If you want to listen to one of the best Viking Metal acts ever than lisen to TYR!

I've already heard Thyrfing and Falkenbach, and they both kick all sorts of ass, and I just checked out Týr, and they do too. Thanks for mentioning them.

Mormagil said:
I've already heard Thyrfing and Falkenbach, and they both kick all sorts of ass, and I just checked out Týr, and they do too. Thanks for mentioning them.

If you like them watch their music video for "Regin Smiður" it's really nice and has a lot of Viking spirit :)