Viking reenactment fighting...

Originally posted by Aggressor
Dont think your that prejudice, "lajvers" are dorky ;)

Serious injuries are very rare, Ive never experienced it, or even heard about it...
Ok there are some storys going around about Russians fighting with sharp weapons, but if youre stupid enough to do that you deserve it.
Personally Ive starined two fingers, split my lip, got a nosebleed :p
and a got a binch of bruses and small cuts...

Before you start fighting you need to have a safety course, most groups have at least two safety courses each year.
You can just contact them and hear when their next course is, all the groups in contact with are really nice and cool people :)

ok, yeah well fighting with real weapons seems a bit to hardcore perhaps, think i'll leave that for the russians hehe :)

i'll send that swedish group an e-mail and then hope that if they've got a course sometime soon it isn't to far away, it sucks not having a car of your own :(

Originally posted by Final_Vision
Where do you get the equipment? Are there makers around where you can purchase the swords and armor?

There are several people and companies that make swords and other kind of equipment for us.
We have a guy in our group who makes axes and spears, for swords and so on we usually use www.jelldragon.com a company based in Britain.
They make very good swords, and their swords are even guaranteed not to break :)

They do custom make weapons as well, Ive got to get the, to custom make me a longsword as I dont like fighting with one handers.

@Patric: No we usually do not wrestle, but Truls uses any chance he has to fight in some way or another ;)
During the weekend when we fought wuth the Swedes and the groups from Oslo, he arrived at Saturday around noon, changed into his gear went out fought until it started getting dark around 1700, then went back in, fought some more in the gym.
Then when there was nobody left that wanted to fight he started to look for people to wrestle with.
He wrestled with another guy in our group until he started to bleed...then went for some of the smaller guys in the group who wanted to wrestle, not surprisingly he took them all...
Looking for some more challenge he started trying to get me to wrestle with him, because as I said we're in the same weight class :p

As for the weapons, you'll usually be able to borrow a sword or whatever you want to use from one of the other members until you get your own weapon(s).
And most groups have group weapons that the members can use.
At first you fight with sticks though :p
But after a few trainings you'll be able to fight with the real stuff.

Hahah, I kinda wondered. I only have "Norwegian Native Art" though, and I'm not a big Viking Metal fan but I listen to it regurarly cause it's so damn catchy.

Well Ragnar has left Einherjer, so now Frode does the vocals, his good, but not as good as Ragnar, and neither of them are as good as Rune on the first albums.

My personal Einherjer favorites are Far, Far North and Dragons of the North.

I dont listen to much other stuff than Viking\Folk Metal nowadays.
Or at least music that's been inspired by this time period.

Where have you people been? I'm half danish and a quarter norweigen (and quarter scot). Being a viking is in my blood and dammit sometimes you just want to start fighting things for no reason. I would like to see more viking movies like 13th warrior. Anyone know of any other good ones out there?

Originally posted by Greenwater_Pond
Where have you people been? I'm half danish and a quarter norweigen (and quarter scot). Being a viking is in my blood and dammit sometimes you just want to start fighting things for no reason. I would like to see more viking movies like 13th warrior. Anyone know of any other good ones out there?

Danish, huh? Yeah, there's some fights in between the neighbour countries, I agree and it sucks. Like the way Danes are towards Swedes :mad: and how we are towards Finns.

Originally posted by Greenwater_Pond

well try "korpen flyger" perhaps a bit hard to come by in the us, but try :)