Vikings Mead

Gnoff, thanks for the book tip. I'll try that. I did a lot of research on flavourings etc for my under-grad thesis, but didn't find very good research for it in terms of the Swedish material. I am taking a course in archaeobotanicals at UmU atm, and we covered mead and beer quite well. I was actually very impressed with the papers and such we were assigned for that, and my teacher there is also very good at her stuff. I'm hoping she can help me out, too. I'd like to write a paper on it, so all the batches would have to be set at same temp and such.

If you want serious research regarding Sweden, though it's more into beer and only slighlty deals with mead, see if yo can find

“Ölets historia i Sverige del I - Från äldsta tider till 1600-talets slut“, Harald Thunæus

My copy is printed by "Almqvist & Wiksell Stockholm", Uppsala 1968

part 2 deals with 1700 to 1800, he died apparently before he finished part 3.

It does deal with where words for beer and mead come from, what we know of production equipment and methods, ingredients, mythology, and much more. Quite an interesting read if you're into beer history.

So what would you folks recommend, spice wise, to use in a "beginner" batch? I'm finally getting off my ass and picking up the needed equipment tomorrow, using Sleipnir's "how-to" from the other thread. But I noticed it didn't mention anything about spicing.

But I keep getting this horrible idea about a maple mead. I'm going to have to try that, eventually, not like I lack for maple here.

I have yet to make a "spiced" mead only 'cause the wife isn't a huge fan of 'em.

you could try using clover, cinnamon and so on.

I am going by my buddies tonite...one of the ones I told T I would ask...and will ask what spices he uses and get back to you.

Well, got my stuff, got my primary bucket all cleaned, mixture made and yeast pitched. It's bubbling away slowly now.
One thing I noticed, I really didn't have to heat the water up that much to get the honey to go into solution, perhaps 75-80 degrees. Low enough it didn't register on my thermometer, and well below the usual comfort level of the yeast. The yeast (Cotes des Blanches) needs 100 to come out of suspension, so I pitched it pretty quickly on. Wine yeast likes the temperature a lot lower then bread yeast, it seems. Did I miss somehting there, or do usually just like to let it sit to be on the safe side?

Well, got my stuff, got my primary bucket all cleaned, mixture made and yeast pitched. It's bubbling away slowly now.
One thing I noticed, I really didn't have to heat the water up that much to get the honey to go into solution, perhaps 75-80 degrees. Low enough it didn't register on my thermometer, and well below the usual comfort level of the yeast. The yeast (Cotes des Blanches) needs 100 to come out of suspension, so I pitched it pretty quickly on. Wine yeast likes the temperature a lot lower then bread yeast, it seems. Did I miss somehting there, or do usually just like to let it sit to be on the safe side?

you can liquify the honey first by puting the containers in the sink with hot water and then use some of the water you will be using to thoroughly rinse them out to get every last ounce of honey out.

the spices you could use to make a spiced mead are clove, cinnamon, all spice and nutmeg.

I have had most of them. The Elfenzauber is incredible, it's a very sweet vanilla mead. I'm actually trying to duplicate the recipe right now so I won't have to pay the very high shipping cost to get more of it. I also really liked the Wikingerblut, very sweet cherry mead, it's only 6% though. You can also get the Odin Drink honey beer there which is pretty good.

Thanks for your input man, I will be sure to check those out when my brother turns 21 next month.:kickass:

The only spice I consistently use in my meads is vanilla beans. I just did a batch using 1 part meadowfoam honey(tastes like toasted marshmallows), 1 part clover honey, Lalvin 71B-1122, and a couple gourmet vanilla beans. I think it's going to turn out very nice.

We ordered some mead from here in Germany...freaking amazingly good stuffs.
NOT AS GOOD AS GNOFF'S!!!! (yes, you caught me, I am kissing up to Gnoff so I can drink more of his mead when I visit him in Sweden :heh:)

But we got Elderberry,Wild Honey and Blackberry. Mmmmmmmm
Came in REALLY spiffy bottles too.

Well, just racked my first batch over to the secondary fermenter. Poured the leftovers into my jug to sample... it's actually drinkable. Not very strong, and very sweet, but drinkable with some alcohol to it. Soaking and cleaning my primary bucket now to try out an amber ale, just for something to do while I wait on the mead to finish secondary fermenting.