Vintersorg like The Bold and the Beautiful?

Mantis

Naturmistikk & Folktale
Jul 18, 2003
Eburum
Visit site
I just was looking that people involved in Vintersorg/Otyg have surname that deals with nature for ex. Andreas himself "Hedlund" should mean "moor-grove" and also "Marklund" should be "mark(land)-grove", Cia "Hedmark" "moor-land" & Stefan "Strömberg" "stream-mountain" also "Norberg" appeared in Otyg should be "north-mountain" what?:zombie: like in the Bold and the Beatiful where protagonists call "Ridge" "Bridge(t)" "Forester" "Brooke" etc :ill:

Well, it's very common with this kind of nature names. Either that, or son-names, soldiers names (brave, strong, fast etc) or names that end with -in.

And those that end in -ius. I've heard it was hip among educated people to get a surname ending in -ius.

What about names of professions? Are they usual in Sweden?

i discovered that in italy we have a this surname Omodarme = uomo d'arme.
translated in english sounds like manowar!!!!!
i wonder about the origin of this surname....

lefay82 said:
i discovered that in italy we have a this surname Omodarme = uomo d'arme.
translated in english sounds like manowar!!!!!
i wonder about the origin of this surname....

surely a medieval-origin surname as "omo" is medieval italian for modern "uomo", it's common surname comes from profession, nicknames, phisical vicious and in ancient times, from city of orign (at least in my region but also suppose in the rest of the county) like Petrarca (stone-ark) or Pietro Aretino (from Arezzo) Alfonoso Pecoraro (shepherd) etc.

@thidrek ja, you got Stagnelius, Zacharias Topelius, Serenius, Comenius Schroderus, Juslenius, Paulinus Gothus Laurentius, Sylvester J Phrygius etc. etc. etc. all academic/literary people

pero ce ne sono di italiani su sto forum....
ora ci ammazzano xche glielo intasiamo.....eheheh

French names are often related to their city of origin for the nobility and to the profession for the common people. You can also get people named after some biblical Saint or some clerical position. In Quebec we had a prime minister back on the 80's who was called René Lévesque, which can be modeled into René "L'Évesque" which is the ancient french for "évêque", meaning "Bishop". You cna also get people with names like "Bruno Saint-Pierre", the family name refering to St-Peter.

It's also VERY common to see villages and small towns named after Saints here in Quebec, I think more than anywhere else in the world. That is, back in the times of the colony, all the colonisation was mostly done with the help of the catholic church, so they'd name the new settlements according to catholic values. That means everywhere in Quebec, you have over 2500 small towns all named after various Saints and features of the surrounding area.

Yes, Quebec was VERY religious for a long time. It all ended in the 1960's.

Thidrek said:
And those that end in -ius. I've heard it was hip among educated people to get a surname ending in -ius.
Yea that's correct, they kind of "latinised" their names to make it sound cooler, hehe.

Thidrek said:
What about names of professions? Are they usual in Sweden?
I read that's a common practice in Germany, but not so common here, can't even come up with one example.

Alec Walter Conway said:
It's also VERY common to see villages and small towns named after Saints here in Quebec, I think more than anywhere else in the world. That is, back in the times of the colony, all the colonisation was mostly done with the help of the catholic church, so they'd name the new settlements according to catholic values. That means everywhere in Quebec, you have over 2500 small towns all named after various Saints and features of the surrounding area.
I noticed the same in Italy. In Venice there where loads of streets and churches named after saints. Not so common here in Sweden as we've only produced one single saint. :)

amf said:
Yea that's correct, they kind of "latinised" their names to make it sound cooler, hehe.
I'm sure you all know the Neanderthaler (homo sapiens neanderthalensis). He was named after the dale he was found in for the first time: the Neanderthal. And this again is named after a local pastor called Joachim Neumann - but that was not cool enough then so he changed his surname to Neander.

Same with:
Andreas Greif -> Andreas Gryphius
Wilhelm Fabry -> Guilelmus Fabricius Hildanus

I read that's a common practice in Germany, but not so common here, can't even come up with one example.

Not only in Germany, names like these are to be found all over Europe. In Spain e.g. "Zapatero" (Shoemaker) or in English-speaking countries e.g. "Smith".

also in italy
fabbri = blacksmith

we have a lot of surnames which refers to abandoned children (i know it's quite strange). in the past you could leave unwilled children in convents. there where a sort of wheel in the convent's wall called rota where you could put the child and then turn it so the child can enter the convent without the mother to be seen. so the surname esposito which means exposed or dell'innocenti = of the innocent ones, because the chid had no guilt of his condition.

it's quite common to have also surmanes referring to the nobles like duchi= dukes or baroni=barons