Vinyl and Picture LP's

Thared

Oct 1, 2002
Louisiana, USA
Visit site
I'll be getting some Opeth and other vinyl as well soon, and some of them happen to be Picture Discs. I was wondering, are Picture LP's mainly just for collection purposes, the artwork, and just to show it off? Or can Pic LP's be played too, without a problem just like regular vinyl? I wouldnt want to scratch the paint off the pic lp if I'm not supposed to play it... Thanks in advance.

Thared said:
I'll be getting some Opeth and other vinyl as well soon, and some of them happen to be Picture Discs. I was wondering, are Picture LP's mainly just for collection purposes, the artwork, and just to show it off? Or can Pic LP's be played too, without a problem just like regular vinyl? I wouldnt want to scratch the paint off the pic lp if I'm not supposed to play it... Thanks in advance.

Yeah you can play them but the sound quality is lower.
I'd keep my playing low though myself, just in case.
(never know if it's cheaply made or something ;))

picture disks are USUALLY (but not allways) old vinyl rejects they have pasted pictures then clear vinyl lamented over the picture-so it is very common that they are extremely warped. also the vinyl is made to see the picture and isnt allways a usual playable quality so you get surface noise-even if you do it will never sound as bad as a standard cassette tape!

picture disks are ALLWAYS limited editions though. even picture disks that seem common sooner or later turn out to be collectors items. you are better off treating them as such.

but if you do play them a little adjustment of your equaliser will remove any surface noise.