Vinyl or CD?

Kudzu

Hi Tech / Low Life
Apr 1, 2004
Twisted in black armor
When I spend my beloved money on music (wich I do very rarely) I always try to get the vinyl edition.

There's something special about vinyls. The color, the strange sound, the giant cover that you hang on the wall and masturbate every time you see it. You just have the feeling you are buying something special and unique. It's also true, because the production is much more limited than on CD.

And what about CDs? A shitty plastic donut that costs 1 -insert local currency here- that you rip the moment you get home, stick it in the mp3 and put the CD away forever...

For the people that feel guilty downloading music, the vinyl pushes you a bit more to buy the original. You are actually buying something different from the burned cd you can make with your pc in 3 minutes. And they are usually cheaper.

Am I the only one who does this or is there more vinyl cult around here?

i buy both. and rip both to my computer! or atleast try to. i still cant figure out how to get audacity to turn my vinyl recordings into mp3.

i like my vinyl. i first bought em to display on the wall, but since i got my numark ive been playing my records and trying to put the ones i dont have on cd on my computer. plus you can usually get 7" demos and splits for really cheap!

some people download alot and buy the cd of the stuff they really like. i buy alot of cd's and buy the vinyl of stuff i really like
~gR~

"Vinyls?" You mean vinyl records? Yeah, I usually collect them, mainly because my selection is much more varied in terms of price - many other kinds of music than metal find a home in my collection on vinyl. Do I prefer it? Yeah, kind of, I do have to say that I feel I'm owning something more than 1's and 0's.

I buy both. If it's an album I'm not completely apeshit over and there's nothing particularly interesting about the vinyl, I'll buy the CD. If it's an album I really like or there's something cool about the vinyl, I'll buy both.

CD's, though I may get vinyl of those special records if they come with a good deal, like one I seen on Ebay with an Emperor As The Shadows Rise shirt and In The Nightside Eclipse LP.

No record player for home.

CD's are easier to store and display (with a tower). I did buy Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk on vinyl, but that was more out of sentiment than practical use.

For the car, just download the album and burn it on a cd. If you own the vinyl already you have the right to do so.

That's still illegal. You have a right to make a copy of the media you already own, not download a copy that you don't own from someone else (in the USA).

I have bought both in the past, but I buy many more CDs. They are cheaper and easier to transport/play/log on last.fm (fuck you, I'm a SUBSCRIBER!!1!).

I like the sound quality and packaging/art of vinyls, but until they somehow make them more accessible (not to mention compact, but then that is part of their value, that they are big and so is the art/posters/whatever), I will continue buying more CDs than records.

I usually buy CD's.
but I always bought records over tapes until CD's came along
I still have a nice sized record collection and never got around to converting them to CD's so when I want to hear some real classic metal I usually have to use my turntable.Records always have more of a bassier feel to them it seems but not as punchy.

Oh and also, when I buy a CD, I delete it off my computer (if it was there before). I do this to maximize the amount of space I currently have to check out new music and subsequently buy it eventually/when I see it.

Burned CD-Rs only last around 10 years due to the technology. CDs pressed at a plant are not considered CD-Rs and last almost indefinitely. Just thought I'd like to mention this.

Oh and also, when I buy a CD, I delete it off my computer (if it was there before). I do this to maximize the amount of space I currently have to check out new music and subsequently buy it eventually/when I see it.

Burned CD-Rs only last around 10 years due to the technology. CDs pressed at a plant are not considered CD-Rs and last almost indefinitely. Just thought I'd like to mention this.

You can allways count 9 years and then burn again.

I always buy CD's as I have no reason to buy vinyl. When I buy new CD's I always make a lossless rip before listening to them (for risk of scratching). Used CD's I always clean first and rip. I listen to CD's in my car and my mp3 player elsewhere. On my computer I maintain a library containing both a flac and mp3 rip of every CD I've ever owned, including traded and sold. I bought a 500GB hard drive for this a while back, and I need to buy another soon.