Vinyl or CD?

Most of my purchases have been CDs, but I'm beginning to lean towards vinyl records. I have no problem buying both, but I'm more interested in getting a record than a CD for a release.

I buy mainly cds. But sometimes there's items I want that are easier to get on vinyl or are just unavailable on cd.

I like the practical aspect of cds though. So I'll buy cds most of the time. As of now I've never owned both version of a certain item. I don't really like duplication.

Hm.

Got a record player downstairs, might pick one up if I see a cool vinyl.

Any recommendations?

I actually need a place to buy a record player (no doubt it will be ebay).

I need a brand rec.

I actually need a place to buy a record player (no doubt it will be ebay).

I need a brand rec.

I personnaly have a Pro-Ject Debut III. It's a very good turntable...but if you don't have a phono pre-amp on your system already you'll have to buy an external one. Which can make the total price a little high.

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=debut&cat=turntables&lang=en

Thorens and Rega are other good brands but also expensive. You can always look for used maybe you'll find a good deal.

A lot of people like Technics as well. They have some good models.

I'll buy vinyls for albums I really like or from bands I like that have vinyl exclusive releases (Drudkh - Anti-Urban, Leviathan - A Silhouette in Splinters). I mostly buy CDs, but I usually burn them, look at the booklet once, and throw them into storage.

I find Southern Lord, Hydra Head, and Profound Lore do a really nice job with vinyl packaging and such. I was quite pleased with the Velvet Cacoon - Genevieve LP and the Xasthur - Subliminal Genocide LP. These are the kinds of bands that sound better on vinyl anyway.

Southern Lord is a vinyl cash cow label, it's quite annoying. They are really banking on the commercial success of USBM, which is stupid and annoying...I don't support that at all...but if they put out something good I'll still buy it :p

But Southern Lord does a nice job on the releases. They sound good, and the packaging/artwork is of much better quality than other labels.

I got the Forgotten Legends picture disc from Eisenwald recently. Now that was a cash grab. It could have been way nicer.

Hm.

Got a record player downstairs, might pick one up if I see a cool vinyl.

Any recommendations?

Yea. Wolves In The Throne Room or Sunn 0)))-Boris on Southern Lord Records. Check out there store, they have a ton of good records for you to buy.

Southern Lord is a vinyl cash cow label, it's quite annoying. They are really banking on the commercial success of USBM, which is stupid and annoying...I don't support that at all...but if they put out something good I'll still buy it :p

Southern Lord Records! I fucking love that label. I love how they package and how they do artwork. My favorite label aside to Matador Records.

Vinyl. Since I use an ipod, I don't really see the point in buying a cd I'll never play anyway. Theres just something to vinyl.