VIP Meet and Greet tickets?

Palabra de Dios

Heavy Metal Weatherman
Mar 22, 2005
St. Joseph, MO
Hey guys, I'm going up to Chicago to see Saxon for the first time in a couple weeks, and I'm totally stoked. It took me a while to get into them, but when I did I fell hard...and started looking for the early albums on vinyl, which I found and listened to over and over. So I'm hooked.

Would love to get Biff and the dudes to sign my stuff, and thought maybe the only way to do that was to purchase the more expensive VIP meet and greet package.

I know these tickets have been all the rage for a while, but I've never actually bought one. Do they give the ticket holder the ability to stop and get some stuff signed, like a handful of LPs and CD booklets? Or is it, stop and shake band members hands, get a picture and move on? Is it worth it? Do you Saxon veterans think the band will hang around after the show, and that would be my better bet? Let me know!:headbang:

Typically this is a pre-show deal.

I've seen both the longer hang-out type (usually lasts no more than 30 minutes), or the autograph session at table line where you get your stuff signed, and a quick photo afterwards.

If it means that much to you to have the stuff signed, then by all means you should do it.

From things I have heard Saxon are pretty cool about meeting with people.
I personally never saw the point in the VIP with these small club shows. I have sort of moved passed the autograph fan-boy thing for the most part. so the VIP thing usually seems pointless. Bands sell these VIP things all the time and it seems to be a growing trend. Usually it is not actually even the band's idea, it is the promoters. I know several bands who are against the idea but still go along with it. Perhaps this is why it is so easy to run into these guys throughout the night or after the show and get photos and signings because they are just cool like that. For instance Doro; VIPs are sold so one can get their picture and autograph, well the woman hangs out after every show and does the same thing for the non-VIPs.
There is also that idea of buying a VIP so you can meet these guys who are now basically getting paid to be your friend for a minute or two, seems a little insulting to the fan and kind of pathetic on part of the fan. Dio wanted to hang with his fans, Doro wants to meet her fans and that is really cool - if others don't want to unless their paid then I'd say fuck'em.

Blackie Lawless went so far as to cancel a show when a promoter charged extra for a meet & greet without his permission - he gave the promoter the option to refund the extra charge to the fans who paid for the M&G, and when the promoter refused, WASP packed up and left the venue.

Generally, the VIP sessions are good if you have an extra $50 and want to get some stuff signed without having to carry it around all night and you want to make sure you can get it signed and get a picture with the band. To me, it feels more personal if you wait after the show and get lucky and meet the band by their bus or wherever.

King's X just played a Texas tour this spring, and they finished their set in a sold out venue, and immediately headed back to the merch table and stayed for two hours signing autographs and taking pictures with fans. Bands like that get it.

Jeremy hit the nail on the head.
Usually this is not something the bands set up, but the promoters.

Depending on the venue, it can be a REAL hit or miss situation.

When my old band opened for Iced Earth last year, they did the VIP thing BEFORE the show. And they only let folks inside who had a VIP ticket. The VIP thing took longer than expected so they still had to start the show, so we kicked off the gig playing only to those people inside who were VIP. A few folks bought tickets from us and did want to see us (though of course they primarily came for IE), but missed us because they weren't VIP.

At the PEarl Room in Chicago there was a HUGE issue with VIP at the Hellish Rock show. I don't know the details, but it caused so much of an issue between Helloween and the venue that they didn't go on stage until almost an hour past their scheduled start time.

In an era of continuing declining album sales, I totally get the business case behind the meet n greet. People still pay the extra premium for it. Though I do find it odd that it happens at venues where its not that hard to run into a band member anyhow. This depends on the band though. Some bands literally go from sound check, back to the bus, and then back out to the stage for their slot. Others do hang out. Don't know what it would be like for a band like Saxon.

It really depends what the VIP option entails. The only one I ever did was Devin Townsend in 2010 and it included a solo acoustic performance with stories behind the music. We also got shirts, badges, and pics. Totally worth it.

A vid I took. He encouraged it, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
King's X just played a Texas tour this spring, and they finished their set in a sold out venue, and immediately headed back to the merch table and stayed for two hours signing autographs and taking pictures with fans. Bands like that get it.
King's X is beyond awesome when it comes to their fans. They nearly ALWAYS come out and interact after the show. I've had several great conversations with Doug, which was one of the reasons I was more than happy to contribute when he had health issues.

As everyone here pretty much said, those VIP M&G's are set up by the promoters and the venues who benefit from the additional cost. Some can be a great experience, others a total waste. I only know this from the many conversations I've had with those who have done it. I prefer the hit or miss casual meetup. Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

In my experience, Saxon is always very open to signing stuff and meeting with fans. The first time I met them they even invited all the fans onto their tour bus in small groups. The last time around they signed and chatted with fans for quite a while after the show. I remember Biff even announcing before he left "Does anyone else need anything signed or a picture before I leave?" I've never heard anyone else say that before.

Hey guys, I'm going up to Chicago to see Saxon for the first time in a couple weeks, and I'm totally stoked. It took me a while to get into them, but when I did I fell hard...and started looking for the early albums on vinyl, which I found and listened to over and over. So I'm hooked.

Would love to get Biff and the dudes to sign my stuff, and thought maybe the only way to do that was to purchase the more expensive VIP meet and greet package.

I know these tickets have been all the rage for a while, but I've never actually bought one. Do they give the ticket holder the ability to stop and get some stuff signed, like a handful of LPs and CD booklets? Or is it, stop and shake band members hands, get a picture and move on? Is it worth it? Do you Saxon veterans think the band will hang around after the show, and that would be my better bet? Let me know!:headbang:

I'm of two minds. On the business end I think it's a necessary evil with promoters getting stingier and stingier every year (mostly due to diminishing turnouts for shows) - these VIP deals can really help bands make money on tour so they can continue touring. So in that regard, I think it's a good way to support the act.

On the fan end - any band that wouldn't be down for signing your stuff after a show for free and would forcibly charge you money just to meet the guys can get fucked. For one thing - you've done your job and already bought merch to sign and paid for your ticket, so anyone who wouldn't reward your support with a free autograph shouldn't be in a band to begin with. For another - if you require charging another human being money just to meet you, you're probably a horrible person.

In my experience, Saxon is always very open to signing stuff and meeting with fans. The first time I met them they even invited all the fans onto their tour bus in small groups. The last time around they signed and chatted with fans for quite a while after the show. I remember Biff even announcing before he left "Does anyone else need anything signed or a picture before I leave?" I've never heard anyone else say that before.

Nice. That's definitely Doro's approach, no matter how tired or sick she is. One more reason I (heart) Doro.

What people are forgetting is that in most cases, VIP means early entry. If you want to get the best seats or positions possible, pay the extra cash.

Seriously? Not having a VIP has never stopped me from getting stage front or good seats.
Granted Progpower offers a little in the ways of possibly making the VIP (Gold Badge) worth it for some people, I can see that. However usually the VIP pass is nothing more than something for geeks to flash around to make them feel better about themselves and look cooler than the guy without the pass, or so they think.
But hey I guess to each their own, let people live out their fan-boy fantasy I have had some of my own, just try to keep it in perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
What day are you coming to town?
You should come to Midwest Metal Anthem on Friday night.
We are playing, along with Damien Thorne and Divinity Compromised and an Iced Earth tribute band. (Yep, an IE tribute already!)

Well I will be in town on Friday, but probably can't make it out. I'm coming for Saxon, but I'm staying with my friend Stacey (actually the friend I stayed with when I came up that year for Ragnarokkr and Enslaved). She's not really a metal gal, so she might not even make it out to Saxon...but I'd like to maximize my time spent with her, since it's not often I get to see her. :Spin:

Really trying to make it up for Alehorn. Manilla Road headlining could mean a very special night. Also heckling Ancient Dreams. :headbang:

KING'S X have always known how it is. I went to see them on the Gretchen tour in Philly at The Empire (RIP) and the sound system was broken or something like that where they were unable to play. Well, they came out to everyone waiting in line and apologized and then just hung out signing stuff and chatting with everyone who wanted to talk with them. So from the start, they got it.

It's a money thing for sure. Bands need anything to survive these days and if fans want to pay more for the meet and greet so be it. I remember friends wanting to do the Anvil meet and greet a few years ago and I was like they will come out after the show, and not 10 seconds after they finished and the lights were on they were in the crowd signing stuff, taking pictures and chatting it up. But again, it depends on the band. I have seen some bands never come out to greet the fans afterwards and others who love it.

From things I have heard Saxon are pretty cool about meeting with people.
I personally never saw the point in the VIP with these small club shows. I have sort of moved passed the autograph fan-boy thing for the most part. so the VIP thing usually seems pointless. Bands sell these VIP things all the time and it seems to be a growing trend. Usually it is not actually even the band's idea, it is the promoters. I know several bands who are against the idea but still go along with it. Perhaps this is why it is so easy to run into these guys throughout the night or after the show and get photos and signings because they are just cool like that. For instance Doro; VIPs are sold so one can get their picture and autograph, well the woman hangs out after every show and does the same thing for the non-VIPs.
There is also that idea of buying a VIP so you can meet these guys who are now basically getting paid to be your friend for a minute or two, seems a little insulting to the fan and kind of pathetic on part of the fan. Dio wanted to hang with his fans, Doro wants to meet her fans and that is really cool - if others don't want to unless their paid then I'd say fuck'em.

Well said.

We have never done one before, but my wife and I got VIP/meet and greet for Kamelot. Has anyone done this on this tour? Can you get stuff signed or is it just a picture?

Stuff signed and they said anything you want (no mention of limit but I assume you'll get cutoff after 2-3)

There was also a picture after the signing in mass. We bypassed that for the better spot at the stage.