Vision Divine for PPUSA

hunter

Mar 13, 2004
I just checked out Vision Divine's website and it looks like they are almost done with a new album entitled, “THE PERFECT MACHINE”. What do you all think about them playing ProgPower. I remember a lot of buzz about them - much like how Cloudscape has been getting lately.

No. Just No. It should be a rule, that if a band does a cover of "Take on me" you are automatically NOT ALLOWED to play Prog Power. In fact, you shouldn't be allowed within a 5 mile radius of the venue while the show is taking place.

Vision Divine's latest album is absolutely amazing. Ever since Olaf Thorsen took them on as a full time prohect, they have grown leaps and bounds! They must play PP as must Labyrinth and Time Machine. I love the Italian bands, and that is not just due to the fact that I am Italian!

Another great band that should be considered is Vanishing Point from Australia.

First of all, I don't think there's a thing wrong when bands do covers of old 80's tunes! Tad Morose does a kick ass cover of an Abba song on their latest outing! PC69 does an entertaining version of My Sherona! Anyway, I'd love to see Vision Divine play Progpower. I'd rather see a band like them or Labyrinth play than Orphaned Land or Therion!

urinalcakemix said:
No. Just No. It should be a rule, that if a band does a cover of "Take on me" you are automatically NOT ALLOWED to play Prog Power. In fact, you shouldn't be allowed within a 5 mile radius of the venue while the show is taking place.

Well, actually I support 100% when the band does an eighties cover... maybe cause you were too young for the song hahah j/k

Look at Angra, they covered MAMA from Genesis... and they still rock!

There is nothing cooler than metal bands doing covers of 80s pop tunes. Although enough with the Abba already.

If any of you like this stuff, check out Oratory's Beyond Earth. They do a cover of "Eternal Flame" by the Bangles and they do it fast!

Yeah, At Vance has done a ton of ABBA covers. I like a good old cover song. I like Mercenary's cover on 11 dreams, I like Nightwish's cover of "Where Were You Last Night".

I like a good cover.

I don't agree as much that bands should cover a metal song though - if you are a metal band. Defeats the purpose.

Nightmare1z said:
...I like Mercenary's cover on 11 dreams, I like Nightwish's cover of "Where Were You Last Night". I like a good cover.
I don't agree as much that bands should cover a metal song though - if you are a metal band. Defeats the purpose.
Agree with you, it's fun to hear pop/rock songs metallized! Mercenary's cover of Kent's hit that you reference and another Nightwish's cover of Gary Moore's tune. When I am stuck hearing some pop stuff :yuk: in a store, always deal with it by thinking what would this sound like fully metallized !
HEADBANGDUDE.GIF
, & what band should do it

Aww dude! Cover songs are badass! My brother and I came up with a killer concept for a compilation album: The Best of Heavy Metal Covers, Vol 1! We just compiled tons of great covers of old classics by bands who kick ass, and put them all together! We're talking about:

Pantera doing Cat Scratch Fever
Demons & Wizards doing White Room
Type O Negative doing Summer Breeze
Fozzy doing Livewire
Motley Crue doing Smoking in the Boys Room
Iced Earth doing Hallowed Be Thy Name
MetallicA doing Turn The Page
Megadeth doing Paranoid
HammerFall doing Man on the Silver Mountain

Hell I can't even remember half of them all. We put 18 songs on that disk, and we've got enough to make two more volumes, AND a live volume! It's great to take it on a road trip with friends, or a house party, and just let it play and see people turn their heads saying, "Holy Shit! This isn't Black Sabbath doing this song! Who the hell is this?"

A kickass band doing a kickass cover is always good by me. I don't care if they take it and make it their own song, or if they do a die-hard flawless tribute to the original, a cool cover is always good in my book.

adaher said:
There is nothing cooler than metal bands doing covers of 80s pop tunes. Although enough with the Abba already.

If any of you like this stuff, check out Oratory's Beyond Earth. They do a cover of "Eternal Flame" by the Bangles and they do it fast!

That Oratory album is immense !!! Cast my vote for next year opening slot for them right now.

Bryan316 said:
Aww dude! Cover songs are badass! My brother and I came up with a killer concept for a compilation album: The Best of Heavy Metal Covers, Vol 1! We just compiled tons of great covers of old classics by bands who kick ass, and put them all together! We're talking about:

Pantera doing Cat Scratch Fever
Demons & Wizards doing White Room
Type O Negative doing Summer Breeze
Fozzy doing Livewire
Motley Crue doing Smoking in the Boys Room
Iced Earth doing Hallowed Be Thy Name
MetallicA doing Turn The Page
Megadeth doing Paranoid
HammerFall doing Man on the Silver Mountain

Hell I can't even remember half of them all. We put 18 songs on that disk, and we've got enough to make two more volumes, AND a live volume! It's great to take it on a road trip with friends, or a house party, and just let it play and see people turn their heads saying, "Holy Shit! This isn't Black Sabbath doing this song! Who the hell is this?"

A kickass band doing a kickass cover is always good by me. I don't care if they take it and make it their own song, or if they do a die-hard flawless tribute to the original, a cool cover is always good in my book.

You put Metallica Turn the Page on? ICK :confused: lol

Anthrax did a good version of the Ramones' We're a Happy Family recently, then again they do a lot of covers that are good.

Seven Witches has done Pat Benatar, Fleetwood Mac, Manowar, Wasp, Def Leppard & Grim Reaper to name a few.

Sonata has done a gew covers and are all over tribute albums as well.

Helloween did a whole CD of covers. I like Anthrax's version of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Rick Mythiasan ex-Steel Prophet does amazing covers, he can pretty much sound like any vocalist out there. He is almost better sounding like someone else rather than himself. He has nailed Dio, Bruce Dickinson, Rob Halford, John Arch and Geoff Tate right on in his covers of them. My personal favorite is when he does The Appartion (Fates Warning). Cover songs are great for what they are.