Vocal microphone for rehearsals.

i remember the om2 reminding me of a 58, but i think better with feedback...it's been a long time since i've used it

Gave it a spin for a song. Needed more gain then a sm58. I switched back to a 58 for the rest of practice. I'll try some eq stuff later in the week.

We use in-ears for reference

Yes. I said it doesn't sound good :) He asked what mic would be good for being heard over the band without having to turn the pre up high enough to get feedback. For the exact reason that I don't think the i5 sounds great on vocals is the same reason I think it's what he's looking for: it doesn't have a broadband flat response.

I find it's extended bass has no place in any live mix. Also, I run mine into mackie VL and Onyx pre's most of the time and IIRC B-52 mains on both setups, Mackie monitors, but I can't recall which models. Very present, although those are really bright pre's to my ears. I don't worry as much about feedback, as I always watch where my monitors are. That, and I've had a lot of time for experimentation.

Just did a low-to-high price sort of live dynamic mics between $100 and $200 on Sweetwater - we've got:

SM58
Audix OM-2
Audix OM-3
Audix OM-5
Sennheiser e835
Sennheiser e845
Audio Technica AE4100/6100
EV RE50N/D-B (whoever came up with that name needs to be shot)

Does this seem like an excessive amount of selection to anyone else? :lol: And of course, with microphones, it's never a given that the more expensive one will sound better, guess I'll just have to buy 'em all and test :loco:

EDIT: After scouring Audix's website, here's what I could dig up on differences between the 2, 3, and 5:

The OM2 is constructed a with slight bass proximity and a tailored mid-range, giving it a full bodied sound on small to mid-size PA systems

The OM3 is naturally attenuated in the lower mid-bass frequencies in order to reduce boominess and handling noise. This, in conjunction with an extremely articulate mid-range, makes the OM3 an excellent choice for PA systems of all sizes.

The OM5 is naturally attenuated at 120 Hz to reduce boominess and handling noise. The midrange is tailored for presence allowing the vocalist to be more easily heard in the mains as well as the monitors

So basically, those don't help my decision at all :mad: I could imagine the OM2's prox effect working well for screaming, depending always on the degree of bass boosting, and wtf is the goddamn difference between the 3 and 5 arrggghhh