A decent condenser microphone around 200€ ?

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hello guys,

The title explains it all. I've read some threads about it here or on other sites but none of them happen to meet my range of price or just losts me even more in the jungle.

I'm considering using something else than sm57/58 on soft/clean singing voice. For some reason, on myself I can't make it sound correct, or even awesome for very intimate and processed sounds (like whispering parts) but it all sounds too "live" as if I was recording a gig, and dynamic (too much plosives even with a screen and a distance when it's about soft singing) and this cannot be saved with excessive processing, it just sounds bad. I know I'm still a beginner at singing but I'm having hard time conceiving the problem is just singing technique in this case. It's doing great on aggressive voices but I think it's time to extend the possibilities. And anyway it could be useful for acoustic guitar recording.

Before I do that, is the sm7b still a solution ? I find it smoothes out recordings well, so I don't know.

Anyway, I'm up to any decent microphone in the 200€ range for a personal use so don't propose me 400€ microphones please :) I've heard about the T Bone DCT 800, some AKG, or oktavas, but I'm lost in this jungle, there are just as many possibilities as a brain can imagine. By the way, 200€ used would be awesome if I can grab one here or with little shipping cost.

Hum there's an almost brand new one sold for 120€ in our local audiogeek craiglist-like website. Interesting.

There also a almost new AKG perception 200 for 110€.

the AKG perception series are reputed being a bit "dull" the rode a bit "bright"
i prefer the bright version as i can always cut frequencies.
using a dull sounding mic i have to boost frequencies, which is generally know as "not so good"

basically there are no real differences in this price range,
take a mic that looks good to you and that has the best built quality.

i'm still in for the RODE NT1-A, especially for that price!

cheers
S.

AKG Perception 420, Awesome mic !! I own one. The sound of the RODE NT1-A is not top quality and is too bright. It may have market succes out of it promotion, not for what it really is.

AKG Perception 420 is one of the best options in that price range. I really like it.

If I can grab that nt1a that would be nice. Otherwise there are other sellers who sell it alone or with its attach, for 80 or 90€ which seems a really good deal.