Need tips on live vocal microphone

May 12, 2005
Sweden
www.egonaut.se
Hi folks!
I've been using an SM57 for live vocals for a while now but I feel that it isnt dynamic enough to manage my crappy singing (high notes tend to disappear and so forth) and this weekend I decided to use a Beta58 and it worked way much better. The only drawback on the Beta58 was that it felt as if I was singing into a gagball or something...

Is there a reasonably priced dynamic microphone for vocals that does not have a "gagball" diafragm?

Here's what I tell all my customers, and it comes from actually trying out a wide range of different handheld dynamic mics. You want an Electrovoice N/D-767, it's clearer than the Beta 58, has an indestructable grille, has higher output than any other dynamic mic (besides the N/D-967) and great rejection to reduce feedback in high SPL situations.

Audix OM-7.

Besides the fact that i show favoritism to Audix, before the Audix got stolen during a hijacking I've had both the 58 and OM-7.

It's specs, for lack of a better word, "destroy" the 58 or 57 for live use.
the Audix is "extreme hypercardiod" and has "exceptional gain before feedback"
wider frequency response and it even has an extended handle for those who like to cup the mic

But unlike the "Electrovoice N/D-767" Razorjack mentioned, the Audix has a low output so you might have scream/sing/talk/whisper louder

(but thats just my opinion)

That "gagball" you're talking about isn't the diaphragm, it's a pop shield, and you're going to find it on pretty much every vocal mic. That's why the 57 is more commonly used on instruments.

I find the regular old 58 to be great. I've got stacks of beta58's, beta 57's, beta 87's, 767's, 267's. etc. etc. But I keep coming back to the sm58 or sm57 w/ a wind screen for live applications.
For starters, if you've ever seen a dressing room bathroom you know singers can't aim. So in practice they just sway in an out of that hyper-cardioid pattern making the mix a nightmare. You get greater proximity effect from those tighter patterns which exaggerates those moves. Plus I've never liked that huge hi-mid-spike that all of those have. Seems to make most voices sound very harsh....or very scooped if they're right on the mic.