Vocal style?

evil_bacteria

New Metal Member
Nov 13, 2008
I've got two Hypocrisy albums, and they sound totally different. Tagtgren is the singer on Osculum Obscenum, right? At least, except for the bonus tracks, which I believe are by their original vocalist. I know he's the singer on Abducted as well, but what the heck? When did he stop doing the growl and switch to the screamy kind of singing? NOBODY growled as low and as scary as he did on Obscenum; when and why did he change?

All vocals on Obsenum are from Masse Broberg, maybe theres a special version with Peter on the vocal on some bonus tracks but I dont know

Try these with Peter on vocals :

- The 4th dimension
- The final chapter (you'll have growls hehehehe)
- Virus
- New album! a taste of extreme divinity

and also dont miss the AWESOME Bloodbath's album ''Nightmare made flesh'' with Peter as guest for (violent) vocals

With these, you should shit your pants for a while

The Fourth Dimension is Peter's best work, imo.

He sounds absolutely evil and hateful... his growl is spectacular. I actually wish he did this instead of the shriek he's done recently... but ah well, it's still solid.

Also, on 10 Years of Chaos and Confusion, Peter does vocals on some of the old songs rerecorded, Osculum Obscenum and Pleasure of Molestation particularly. (although they butcher The Fourth Dimension and Apocalypse)

I totally disagree with the butchering of Apocalypse on 10 years. I think its only beaten by the live version off Wacken.

The Fourth Dimension is Peter's best work, imo.

He sounds absolutely evil and hateful... his growl is spectacular. I actually wish he did this instead of the shriek he's done recently... but ah well, it's still solid.

Also, on 10 Years of Chaos and Confusion, Peter does vocals on some of the old songs rerecorded, Osculum Obscenum and Pleasure of Molestation particularly. (although they butcher The Fourth Dimension and Apocalypse)

the fourth dimension is perfect for me... but vocals are NOT the best!!!!

and "10 years of..." what are you thinking???? the rerecorded songs are SHIT!!!

They arent shit, but I only mentioned them because it's Peter doing a couple of the old death metal songs

yes also Wacken 98

About the re-recordings...They arent shit but actually I think the original are better.

I could have said something different lets say 6 months ago but during the VERY long wait for ATOED I kinda rediscovered the 4th dimension and I think this album is perfect the way it is, considering that its a 1994 pre-abyss release, of course the prod quality isnt stellar, but the rest, especially Peter, is.

:)

i thin the rerecordings are great. especially pleasure of molestation and apocalypse.
his vocals are the ebst there..only exception wacken. too low too brutal :worship:

i meant they are great. :cool:
i like the vocals live also more. thats a reason why i like the vocals on the re-recordings, they are more like his live vocals. i dont understand why he just doubles or tripples the vocals, they are much better and more brutal in natural

by the way: of course he sounds live always good. but at wacken 2004 the eraser version on youtube, doesnt sound that hgood like wacken 98, and also the live evrsion from straßbourgh. wacken 98 is the best screams and low growls

yes the strasbourg live...vocals are so so...
but its more a mater of post prod than Peter himself.

Post production of a live show is tricky

some days ago i was reading about the destroys wacken album and some guys sayed that the album is one of the most post-produced in extreme metal bands along with the tokyo showdown from In Flames (i've not listened to it yet)... and i don't know, but sounds coherent to me (for example: after the solo on the fourth dimension, the scream "wake me up!!" and after, the growl "from this nightmare!!"... its a really extreme change!)... those vocals are really from hell!!!!

but don't know really... and also don't care hahahaha destroys wacken are really great to me

same here

but man check out ''The invaluable darkness tour'' from Dimmu Borgir.

no words to describe how WELL produced the whole product is...sound..image...booklet.

Almost too good :p

The rerecorded songs on 10 years are wayyyy better. Not only the instruments but Peter's vocals are much better.

The rerecorded songs on 10 years are wayyyy better. Not only the instruments but Peter's vocals are much better.

i don't know why people like more the rerecorded versions, for me that songs loose all their "touch"...

osculum obscenum and pleasure of molestation are very dark and brutal tunes, i think their sound makes them special... rough, really hard and not so very clean...

the rerecorded versions sounds better, but loose all the things that makes them specials

also for penetralia, apocalypse and the fourth dimension... for me you can't change the acoustic guitar parts with those piano-orchestra samples...

liker i said before, even when destroys wacken seems to be so post-produced, i like it a lot!!... the arrival bonus dvd, summer breeze 2002, also like it a lot, but the virus bonus-dvd... mmmm for me is not the very best performance in all aspects

Indeed it is Masse Broberg on the first album and also most of Osculum Obscenum - there is a fairly easy distinction between the two (Masse and Peter).

Peter Tagtgren's vocals are pretty diverse considering the scene. He is pretty talented and seasoned.. he admits, when asked by an interviewer somewhere in an interview why each type of vocal from him sounded great and why he was successful. Peter said something like: "I have been around for a while" in response -- I always notice that Peter is always modest. Never boasts or puts on an act; he's always himself. And that's admirable.

For more of his gutteral growling/grunting:
-Inquire Within
-Apocalypse (moreso in a live version)
-Fourth Dimension
He is pretty impressive during 'Hypocrisy Destroys Wacken' days as well.
Plus, a few songs are mentioned in this thread. And I'm sure people could list more :)

Shrieking/Screech:
There's a good screech in a live version of 'Fire in the Sky'
A good screech in 'Fusion Programmed Minds' (one of my favorite tracks)
And in various Hypocrisy songs that we all know.

By the way, doesn't Peter sound reinvigorated for this new AToED album? Maybe its just me but the rest for the band seemed really good for him. He sounds great to me, moreso than normal. At a peak again.

Sorry for the long post. \m/