vocals and mastering?

ErikSL

groove junkie
Feb 11, 2006
Some questions about mixing vocals:

How do you achieve the right "thickness"? Should you always layer them? What compression settings do you use? And do you compress during the takes, or in post?

Mastering:

Is there a good process to have the gain and mix quality equally balanced in different sources? I know you use steinberg software, do you know of any helpful VST plug ins?

Any advice would be great on those two aspects. Thanks

During the backingvocals, I allways dub them. Sometimes I dub the lead, but thats not so commom in my productions. I realy like that the lead stand out without dubbing. I use compression during tracking, about 4:1, slow attack and relase.. Just to make sure that the convertor dont clip. During the mix, I can use 8:1 and faster attack and relase. I use 1176 compressor on the vocal. Sometimes the SSL bus compressor. I love the 1176!
I am not a mastring engineer, I send my mixes to people who are experts in mastering. If I do a mastering, I use a 2-1176 stereo-compressor, the ME loadness maximizer or a SSL bus compressor. I dont think steinberg have a "must have" compressor... I really like the waves SSL, API and the V-series plug-ins.

Børge

Both! But the Waves plug-in will give You 90%. No one will hear the different. Try to use it for the overheadtracks as well! Fast relase and attack.

Børge