Vocals on TGCD

Goober

Noob
Dec 20, 2004
I noticed that jonas doesn't sing with as much feeling that he did in earlier albums. It seems that he doesn't hit the higher notes as much. Don't get me wrong, the vocals are great, very dark and powerful, but i do miss the more meaningful style of singing that i knew jonas for.

I wouldn't say he sings with less feeling overall. There's some older songs which he certainly does seem more passionate on, but there are also older ones with less feeling than the new stuff.

It's no worse, and I wouldn't say it's a vast improvement either. It's what it is, and it's really fucking good :)

Goober said:
I noticed that jonas doesn't sing with as much feeling that he did in earlier albums. It seems that he doesn't hit the higher notes as much. Don't get me wrong, the vocals are great, very dark and powerful, but i do miss the more meaningful style of singing that i knew jonas for.

I was gonna make a very similar thread but you beat me to it. I personally miss the vulnerability that appeared in his vocals on Tonights Decision and Last Fair Deal Gone Down. It just seems that on The Great Cold Distance his vocals have lost most of that vulnerability. And TCGD over time has disappointed me, the songs arent as memorable for me as earlier efforts. Just my two cents.

I think that the vocs are better on Viva/TGCD in a technical aspect, but not in terms of feeling IMO. My fav vocs by him are probably when he combined the defeated old style with the newer more polished one on LFDGD, and that just happens to be my fav clean vocal Katatonia CD ;)

i'd say he sings less whiny than on some previous albums, an i'm happy with it. nowadays it's sometimes difficult for me to sit through some songs on 'Discouraged Ones' for example, because of some vocal parts. just take the verse of 'Distrust', i can't stand that style...
it's incredible how Jonas' vocals improved over the time. VE and TGCD are a huge leap forward compared to the previous albums.

I don´t think that Jonas sings less emotional on TGCD, just listen to My Twin or July or In The White...
The songs on this album have kind of colder and darker atmosphere than their previous albums and for this his vocals are just perfect. His effort on Tonight´s Decision or LFDGD is great, but his vocals improved so much on Viva Emptiness and TGCD.

I agree that his vocals have improved from a techincal point of view, but i just feel he's lost that lil something that made his vocals on TD and LFDGD some of my favourite vocals. As i said before, he's lost the vulnerability in his vocals on TGCD imo. His vocals are by no means bad, they're just missing something this time around.

Surely he was singing with more feeling in TD and LFDGD but his techniqe is much better in VE and TGCD.He just made his voice fit the atmosphere in VE and TGCD.But for me TD stuff is much more passionate and better in feeling...

IMHO, the vocals on TGCD are VASTLY superior to any of the vocals Jonas has layed down before. He has finally mastered the art of constantly staying in tune, and having done so gives himself the perfect platforrm to display the fact that he has one of the most distinctive, enigmatic and communicative voices in music today. This is the album where Jonas realises his potential as a singer as well as a lyricist (something he showed us all he was nearly untouchable at a LONG time ago).

His best effort by FAR.

He hasnt lost his vulnerability(I certainly dont think so)...it´s just that this album doesn´t need any....TGCD is a damn cold album,and also a very dark one...a more monotone type of singing is the best choice they made for this album..and Jonas does a fine work..
by the way i also have some problems when i listen to some old songs cuzz of the weak vocals....but anyway

One thing I noticed about Jonas's vocals on TGCD is they were more out front of the music. On the older albums I found Jonas's vocals to be great, but I always wished they were more out front. As far as emotion goes, I think Jonas used plenty of emotion in TGCD, yes it was colder and darker, but still very emotional. Don't worry though, I would almost promise you that Jonas will do more vocals like those on Viva or DO in the future. This band has a very long life-span.

Goober said:

I exactly know what you're talking about...But, TGCD has some of the 'earlier' vocals style...in Deliberation:'see us sleeping....' part,and probably all of Journey through pressure...You thought I think on 'colder' style of vocals..depresed one, without hope like on TD and DO...and, just a question: does anyone thinks that mentioned part in Deliberation little bit remindes on 'I transpire' song?

CHEERS