Volbeat - Lola Montez (instrumental and vocal cover)

Jotun25

Apr 27, 2010
Sevilla, Spain
www.jotunstudio.es
Hi, guys!

I´ve recorded a cover of Volbeat´s Lola Montez.

I used an Axe FX Standard (New Recto for guitar and SVT for bass) and the Rock Solid expansion from Toontrack (it´s the first time I´m using it, but I thought it suited the style)

It´s a simple song, but I tried to layer some tracks in the chorus (4 electric for rythm, 4 electric for arrangement, 2 acoustics and 4 voices, 2 double tracking the main vocals to get that open chorus effect), so it sounded a little more polished.

Any comment is welcomed and I´d like to know what you think about the recording/mixing. Please, keep in mind that I´m not a singer, so some vocals may be a little off...

Hope you like it, and thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I listened on ATH-M50's.

The vocals sound pretty spot on actually to the original. Nice job. A bit pitchy at parts but like you said you aren't a singer.

The mix is quite good. The only problem I have with it are the guitars. The guitars sound super thin compared to the original, lack fullness, and aren't as upfront as the original mix.

Other than that, nice job. Too bad no one is replying to this...the vocals are great! I'd imagine it's because you didn't offer multi's (which is a shame) or because the song just isn't that popular (which is also a shame).

Thanks a lot, MoTang!

I use those same headphones, and they are amazing!

I´m really glad you liked the vocals, although I didn´t try to copy Michael´s voice, but try to sing it low, as he does, and apply some processing so that it would sound chorusy and similar to Volbeat´s production. I really don´t know how they process their vocals, but I would love to hear some tricks about it.

I appreciate your comment about the guitars. I don´t know if it´s the sound of them (used a Dual Rectifier sim), the process, or maybe that I didn´t track to many guitars, except for the chorus. What would you do here?

I know I didn´t offer DIs, and Volbeat may not be so popular as other bands. Maybe that´s why it didn´t catch so much attention.

Thanks for your words, man.

Cheers!

TBH man, you are more experienced than me. I'm not going to go around telling someone how to mix because I don't feel comfortable doing that yet. I'm still learning too and my mixes are just "ok".

Consider me a fresh set of new ears that just hears music the way I personally like to hear it.

Perhaps the high pass filter is too high, or maybe you dialed in the amp sim too thin (ie. lack of bass, too high presence/highs).

It could also just be a preference thing too.

Hope this helped.

On a side note, Volbeat is really popular here in Canada...haha. Maybe in the states its not as much? IDK.