Volume knob to put before a poweramp

Flow Of Time

Oct 6, 2012
I have an Orange OR-15 and thought about trying to use the Poweramp only, with something like a pod, just for fun.

The thing is, the master volume doesn't affect the fx return. I know that I could just set the patches to a low volume, but I don't want to blow my ears when switching patches..

Is there some kind of pedal with only a volume knob, that I could put in between? I'd prefer to not solder one myself, beacause I suck dick at it.

Oh, okay. So that output volume is a global gain knob that acts seperately from the patches? Awesome :D I guess it would work the same way with an axe fx, right?

Ok, sooo I tried this today.. The amp started to make strange humming noises, as soon as I turned it on (Axe FX Out 1 L plugged into OR15 FX Return).
Could that be ground noise? Can it be fixed by putting a DI Box or something in between those two?

Sorry if this is impossible to answer without hearing what kind of noise I mean... I'll record a clip then

Are you wired correctly ? Here's how to do it with a GT-10 but it's the same thing with any other thing.. (however, make sure your FX loop is serial and not parallel):

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll watch that video when I come home from work.

I just connected the output of the axe to the fx return of the amp...

There is nothing wrong with the 4 cable method but it isn't what you're trying to do. It has to do with using your amps preamp in conjunction with processing both before and after (so like GT10 gate-->Orange preamp-->GT10 reverb-->Orange power amp).
Anyway, I'd guess you have a grounding issue. You can try a cheater a/c plug (drops the ground prong) and if that works consider an ebtech or something as a long term solution.