Voxengo Boogex + CurveEQ = Redundant?

Element77

Sep 12, 2006
I finally started working with Impulses, (Thanks to this forum, and the examples I've heard). Then I started to read more on CurveEQ, and I downloaded that also.

The problem is, I don't quite understand the point of it. If you're using Boogex to load Impulses to recreate Amp simulation, why are people also using CurveEQ to further adjust the tone to sound like something else. Or am I completly missing the point.
I farted around with Splatt's banks, and it did make it sound alot better, but I would like to understand it more...

What this sounds like to me (in example) is recording a head thru a cab, then micing that cab to another cab then recording that to tape. Or am I an idiot?

CurveEQ can be used to alter the original sound completely around. In other words, you can make one preamp source sound like a completely different preamp. You can also place it after an impulse, to adjust the final tone further. Personally I've found it works better between the preamp and impulse.

Your using impulses to simulate a particular cab but you run the signal thru the power section or poweramp to get the impulse. The poweramp can add some coloring to the impulse. The curve eg will give you the flavor of the preamp it was taken from

no.

look on CurveEQ like a smart EQ - it listens to source (guitar) file/ then listens to your file and trying to match your file`s frequencies to be as close as possible to reference sound. but the tone itself is NOT changing.

so: cab simulation - for cab simulation ) curve EQ - for frenquecies correction.

no.

look on CurveEQ like a smart EQ - it listens to source (guitar) file/ then listens to your file and trying to match your file`s frequencies to be as close as possible to reference sound. but the tone itself is NOT changing.

so: cab simulation - for cab simulation ) curve EQ - for frenquecies correction.

Yes that what I said it givess you the "flavor" of the amp it was taken from.It wont make your amp sound like a 5150,but it will add or subtract frequencies that get you in the territory of a 5150

Now that I've played around with it alittle more I really see how it totally can change your tone. It does make a big difference, bummer about the latency though.