n00b at voxengo curveEQ, help!

noarin

Producer / Engineer
Apr 16, 2006
hey guys, I've tried looking for some info on using curveEQ but got me nowhere yet.. I have the rockmaster 6505 pre-amp and post-cab curveeq settings from daunt; but I must be doing something wrong; they sound like absolute garbage, and if daunt uses them they rock your socks off;

can anybody tell me the steps I take in curveEQ? I'm really confused! Whenever I do "Match" it says "Ready for matching" I then have to play the track and it never stops matching, i have to press the S for that, is that correct?

Thanks in advance! :zombie:

rob

Yes, that's how it works. You first start up Curve EQ, then you play the guitar for a while (30 secs or so) - high notes, low notes and hard palm mute chuggs. Once the cyan line starts to settle, you can stop matching with the S button. Then open up the M button and select how many bands you want to match. Try 7 bands first, and test out 12. See if there's any difference to the better/worse.

Sometimes the palm mutes will sound way over the top. That's when you should use the down arrow.

I still don't get what this technique is used for...:( why do I want to make my amp sound like another amp? Or what is the sense behind this?

I still don't get what this technique is used for...:( why do I want to make my amp sound like another amp? Or what is the sense behind this?

I'm sure most people don't use it to make an *AMP* sound like a different amp, but to make a guitar preamp *emulator* sound like different amps. That way you can use one preamp emulator (such as Wagner Sharp) in a project, instead of several ones, and use it to get different sounds than what the original emulator sounds like. You can get one single emulator to sound like pretty much any amp you have a spectrum file of, instead of actually going out and spending 10 000 euros to get the amps you want.

I'm sure most people don't use it to make an *AMP* sound like a different amp, but to make a guitar preamp *emulator* sound like different amps. That way you can use one preamp emulator (such as Wagner Sharp) in a project, instead of several ones, and use it to get different sounds than what the original emulator sounds like. You can get one single emulator to sound like pretty much any amp you have a spectrum file of, instead of actually going out and spending 10 000 euros to get the amps you want.

Spot on...

I tried it, i tried freefilter.. and allthough i never was 100% satisfied with the results i got, it was a lot of fun nicking a EQ curve from a nice guitarsound you heard on a MP3 somewhere, you know?

I learned that the in flames bass on reroute to remain is really scooped in mids department, and that the guitars on it are quite fizzy, but they do sound great... and so on, and so on... it's great to discover stuff like that and fiddle around with it.