VST alternative for TSE x30 Default Settings

dboy1612

New Metal Member
Jul 22, 2014
I've currently found a nice set of Guitar impulses that I'd like to starting getting in to, unfortunately they all require the TSE x30 on default settings. As I'm on a Mac, I can't get this specific VST loaded.

Would anyone have an alternative for that sound but on a Mac? Podfarm, Guitar Rig, Amplitube, or even something else, I'm willing to work with anything if it means matching the sound, Thanks in advance. :)

I've currently found a nice set of Guitar impulses that I'd like to starting getting in to, unfortunately they all require the TSE x30 on default settings. As I'm on a Mac, I can't get this specific VST loaded.

Would anyone have an alternative for that sound but on a Mac? Podfarm, Guitar Rig, Amplitube, or even something else, I'm willing to work with anything if it means matching the sound, Thanks in advance. :)

Well, there's technically no such thing as an impulse that requires a specific amp sim to work with it. Maybe that's what the author of the impulses intended, but that's pretty rare and impulses should be able to sound good regardless of the sim. The X30 is a very old emulation of an ENGL e530 preamp, so if you're looking for that type of sound, try the POD Farm Metal Shop expansion pack with the ENGL Powerball sim or the Guitar Rig version.

If you want an updated TSE sim, I would get the X50 V2, which you can buy for US$67 (50 euros). By far the best VST amp sim I've ever used. It's an emulation of the 5150 and 6505. The Nick Crow versions posted above are also pretty good, though I like the all-in-one package of the X50 V2 (it has a tube screamer, tuner, delay, IR loader, EQ, etc.) because it reduces latency to virtually zero.

More generally, I would start with the amp sim and then choose the impulse, not the other way around. An impulse is only as good as the amp sim powering it, and you can always fiddle with the impulse EQ. You can't fiddle with the sim algorithms. Hope that helps.

I get the feeling the IRs are match eqd and that's why it's preferable to use the exact same ampsim/settings with them. Might get good or even great results with others too though. Just not the same.

I get the feeling the IRs are match eqd and that's why it's preferable to use the exact same ampsim/settings with them. Might get good or even great results with others too though. Just not the same.

Brilliant, thanks! Been messing around with them for a bit, still trying to get something. Will take some time. :)