Wal-Mart the high cost of low prices.

Have you not even payed attention to the details of this thread(let alone the video)? Low prices aren't magically conjured from the parallel universe of "eternal bliss and prosperity".

I'll choose to live vicariously and reap the benefits of megamall corporations choosing to employee people from a communist country.

Depends on where you live.

if "minimum wage" were increased up to a "living wage" then all the mom-and-pop stores would be replaced by walmart target K-mart and 7-11, but, again would that really be bad?

minimum wage going up would (initially) make "mr walton" loose money, but it would be such a tiny fraction of a fraction that he wouldn't notice the money was gone, you'd have to actually tell him that min wage went up, and i've been told that mr walton's kid has actually declared that he's against min wage going up, but i guess as long as min wage stays underneath a "living wage", then the mom-and-pop stores should be okay

well... ?

First I'd say Wally did a number on Mom and Pop already.

Second I'd say Mom and Pop cry too much and lost their business due to seeing singlular profits over volumn porfits. Further, Mom and Pop need to stop acting like an extra 40 bucks a week out of their pockets for their single or even $120 for THREE employees was going to shut them down... give me a friggin break.

Further if our greedy, selfish, self serving, give us-give us-give us local city,town and village boards did not tax the friggin hell out of commercial and/or industrial property... WE MIGHT JUST HAVE SOME FUCKING WORK IN THIS COUNTRY.... Its property ownership liabilities that destroyed Mom and Pop not wages.

I've said it over and over yet no one gets it, blame is always passed down to the lowest man on the totum pole, in this case the work force, everyone gets caught in the distractions while the real crooks sneak out the back door. They would be, public servants, insurance companies who feed the health care crooks... bankers and investors who want nothing but quick returns on investments fuck all else... but our eyes are so easily and quickly turned to the workforce... CONGRADULATIONS !

hello... it did, like 15 years ago. Welcome to the world of free capitolism, that be the global world of free capitolism.

hello... it did, like 15 years ago. Welcome to the world of free capitolism, that be the global world of free capitolism.

I think it's best that we be careful not to fall prey to the propagandist lines of the power elite: 'free markets', even 'free capitalism' are both misnomers and exercises in doublespeak.

What we actual have is a system of interlocked state monopoly capital where the state is used as a means to secure both subsidized economic inputs for TNCs and to make the barriers to entry in a given market insurmountable for the average entrepreneur. All this goes to ensure that the oligopoly structure remains stable and unchanging, while the average individual is footed with the bill.

oh dont think I fall for anything that was about as sarcastic a comment as I make, and I make them often. I WAS self employed for 20 years and "I seen what they did". Free capotilism, free market is like saying the battle field is level with one side all knives and the other machine guns. Listen to the money talk

oh dont think I fall for anything that was about as sarcastic a comment as I make, and I make them often. I WAS self employed for 20 years and "I seen what they did". Free capotilism, free market is like saying the battle field is level with one side all knives and the other machine guns. Listen to the money talk

no one said the battlefield was level
this whole effin thread was about how the playing field is NOT level

And that's the point, markets, according to some political views to which I sympathize, ought to be 'freed'. It almost goes without saying that a place like Wal-Mart is antithetical to the concept and implementation of a 'free market' in a substantive sense (as opposed to the frail/unsubstantive way in which the term is tossed around in most mainstream discourse).

And that's the point, markets, according to some political views to which I sympathize, ought to be 'freed'. It almost goes without saying that a place like Wal-Mart is antithetical to the concept and implementation of a 'free market' in a substantive sense (as opposed to the frail/unsubstantive way in which the term is tossed around in most mainstream discourse).

so...
walmart=bad???