Want my mic'd sounds to be more "in your face", cab placement?

J.DavisNJ

\m/
Nov 8, 2005
NJ, U.S.A.
My recorded guitar sounds are decent at the moment. They sound ballsy, but not in your face enough. My cab is placed in the corner of the room (not the best place eh?). I used to have it angled against the corner of the wall, but turned it now so it is flush against the wall. Should I try recording it in the center of the room?

Keep in mind I'm talking raw, unprocessed tracks here. What do most of you end up doing to your raw tracks processing wise?? I'm using a Presonus firebox for pre's with a single SM57. I've heard much better results from some of you using similar equipment. My sounds are too "roomy" right now. Should I try isolating the cab with some blankets? thanks,

-Joe

Isolate the cab. For the BACKMASK album "Dark Fiber" I used a couple of 4' x 4' pieces of plywood with Auralex foam glued to them, which I leaned up on either side of the cab. You don't need to isolate in front of the cab (behind the mic), just on the sides of the cab. Then, drape a blanket over the top of the cabinet and plywood, and you're in business.

Foam and plywood and glue for this should cost you less than $100 USD total, but make sure you let the glue dry long enough and apply some even pressure to the foam while it's drying (books work good for this.)

If you plan to mic your cab often and get good sound, this is the best solution.

I also highly recommend using an Audix i5 instead of an SM57 - you will get better results faster. Yes, Andy and others have gotten great results with an SM57, but the i5 will get you there (or better) with much less fuss. It's a better mic, period.

Isolate the cab. For the BACKMASK album "Dark Fiber" I used a couple of 4' x 4' pieces of plywood with Auralex foam glued to them, which I leaned up on either side of the cab. You don't need to isolate in front of the cab (behind the mic), just on the sides of the cab. Then, drape a blanket over the top of the cabinet and plywood, and you're in business.

Foam and plywood and glue for this should cost you less than $100 USD total, but make sure you let the glue dry long enough and apply some even pressure to the foam while it's drying (books work good for this.)

If you plan to mic your cab often and get good sound, this is the best solution.

I also highly recommend using an Audix i5 instead of an SM57 - you will get better results faster. Yes, Andy and others have gotten great results with an SM57, but the i5 will get you there (or better) with much less fuss. It's a better mic, period.

Cool, I think I will try all that! What size are your plywood panels exactly?? What qualities does the i5 have that the SM57 doesn't? Thanks,

-Joe

in what rooms are most super professional metal guitar cabs recorded in. andy, fredman, colin, etc.

i know in the studio fredman there was like a whacky angled room, how about like andys studio or other professional metal studios, i'm just curious.

This is a matter of taste I'd say. I bought an i5 and but I still think a single 57 gives me a better result. (But together they're awsome) But as I said, it depends on what sound you like.

Different freq. response...

You guys like what it does to the mids? I'm looking at getting an i5.

I used to think I liked the i5 better than a 57 on guitar cabs, but I changed my mind a few months ago actually. The i5 definitely is usable and sounds great when you blend it with other mics, but after enough tinkering around with tones and placement and whatnot, I decided that the 57 actually sounds more like the guitar tone I wanted to hear...probably because all the tones I use for reference were likely recorded with a 57! I don't think I like the accented high end quite as much on the i5, and although I initially thought the lack of boxiness on the i5 made it a better choice, the 57 really doesn't sound boxy at all once you get it in the right place.

I still prefer the i5 as a snare mic, though.

I actually had this same problem and I've now got tones I really like with a few adjustments. First off, I realized that I personally like the sound of the 57 being flat up against the grill. THis might have something to do with my room being shitty but I just get a closeness that I can't acheive by being even as close as an inch away. Second, I started using 4 bands of EQ and boosting no more than about 5 dB with each band in various midrange and treble frequencies. I could get more specific if you want but I think experimentation would suit you better. I got clips if you want em

I actually had this same problem and I've now got tones I really like with a few adjustments. First off, I realized that I personally like the sound of the 57 being flat up against the grill. THis might have something to do with my room being shitty but I just get a closeness that I can't acheive by being even as close as an inch away. Second, I started using 4 bands of EQ and boosting no more than about 5 dB with each band in various midrange and treble frequencies. I could get more specific if you want but I think experimentation would suit you better. I got clips if you want em

Clips would be great man...I do intend to experiment, but if you could get specific on your Eqing that would be cool. thanks a lot,

-Joe