Want practice augmenting drums, guitar tones, mixing and mastering? Files inside

I see what you're saying. Gonna mess with it a bit more.

EDIT: Messed with it a bit more.

Hey MisSigsFan

The balance between all the layers sounds good. Nothing too loud, nothing too quiet.

However the over all mix seems to be missing a lot of frequencies above 4KHz. Too much of this makes a mix sound thin and nasty but too little can make a mix sound muddy.
All your guitars, cymbals, kick, snare etc are coming across a bit muddy due to the lack of energy above 4Khz.
Seeing as it's on everything I'd assume it's something in on your master buss doing this. I could be wrong though :p

In between 70Hz & 180Hz there is also a lot of boom. Just a little too much. This in combination with the top end is making things as I said, a bit muddy.

Overall the kick & snare could come up a bit and cymbals down a bit.

Good attempt none the less :)
But try a few things that I mentioned and it may help your mix cut through a bit more ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

As for me, your kick and snr sound like shit, i wish i had no problems with replacement :(

Totally forgot to replace the snare at some point but it works.

Send it to three different buses. One for the low end of the DI another for the grit and highs of the bass and a last one for bass distortion. A lot EQ, impulses, compression, and pow.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/6n2TC6AL

Tried to make the kit sound totally different, so spent the majority of time with the drum tracks. Used a lot of the Waves SSL plugins and things.

For guitars, I used Softube Metal Amp Room, blended some Redwirez Sheffield speakers in just a little and blended in the first attempt guitar (bx_rockrack) tracks in a little for a bit more depth. I'm listening to a lot of Dream Theater & Circus Maximus a lately, so it's a little "Modern/Prog" hope you like it. I myself liked how the bass & kick worked out, not so much the guitars but limited to software only stuff for now. Used SHB-1 for bass, I believe I made a third bass track with an impulse I made of a Sansamp PSA-1 so it's a little thicker but I liked it before I did that too with just the free SHB-1 plugin, just couldn't decide if it needed the depth but seemed like a good idea.

Definitely need to get my hands on more of this stuff!!

Hey everyone, I have been a lurker here a bit and just joined now when I saw the opportunity to mix some tracks. I have been looking for some good metal DI's to just mess around with some amp sims of which I don't have a lot of experience. This little ditty turned out to be quite the kick ass tune. I have listened to the other mixes and they are all quite good. I figured I would do a quick mix (quick for me anyway) and throw it up here for some fun. I have spent about 4 hours on it over 2 nights. So here it is, I am a little concerned that the bass might be a bit tubby, but I think I have lost perspective on that trying to go for a thick meaty overall tone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gbhywh8kylovfxx/Mix Master 29-01-2013.mp3

Decided to demo Scuffham S-Gear, it sounds good on it's own but someone gave me the idea to use the Torpedo sound so blended that in and thickened things up much better.