Some mixing practice for you guys - Commercial Heavy Rock

Nolly

Apr 24, 2009
Bath, UK
Hi guys,

With the consent of the band in question, I've made the raw files for a song I produced this summer available publicly. It'd make good practice for anyone wanting to try their hand at a heavy, commercial rock style with big walls of guitars and powerful drums, as well as more chilled moments with orchestration etc..

The song is Days On Juno's "Colours", that I produced this summer. The full EP featuring this track is available for free download here - Days On Juno. Additionally my mix of this song can be heard here -

Please support the band if you enjoy the music: https://www.facebook.com/DaysOnJunoUK

The mix files can be downloaded from http://www.redseasfire.co.uk/DOJCOLOURSMIXCOMPETITION.zip. (File size is ~550MB)

The tempo of the track is 185BPM. The following are some notes on the recording process:

Unless stated otherwise, all tracks are provided raw but are edited and consolidated, so that they will all line up when started from the same point in a session.

The drum tracks are raw audio bounces from Toontrack's Superior Drummer 2.0. I used several different Toontrack sample libraries for the different kit elements, with the default Avatar pack forming the bulk of the sounds. I also used the 3rd party pack Joe Barresi's Evil Drums for its kick drum and snare ambience, while Metal Foundry provides the hi-hat samples. Note that the close mic tracks have bleed from the rest of the kit for a more realistic sound.
In addition to standard close mics, overhead and room mics, I used a mono ambient track on the snare only, and a stereo ambient track for the snare and toms only, to be used as reverb track if you wish.

Guitars were recorded exclusively with a Fractal Audio Axe-FX II, using a stock Epiphone SG for all distorted tones, and a Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster for the clean parts.

Bass is a Fretking Perception bass with a Bare Knuckle P/J pickup set, recorded DI through a Chandler Germanium preamp.

Vocals were tracked with a Shure SM7b through an Audient MiCO preamp. These tracks were printed through moderate compression, light EQ and a touch of room reverb. I do not have the completely raw files anymore unfortunately, but these will still need plenty of further mixing.

I'm holding a bit of a mixing competition with this track, if you want details join this Facebook event - https://www.facebook.com/events/186990728105868/

Cheers lads!

Last edited by a moderator:
I look forward to hearing your mixes!
What I'm hearing from people that have given it a go is that it's pretty easy to get a basic mix up and running, so fairly quickly you can get stuck into that satisfying/frustrating process of squeezing the last few % out of it. Creative effects like reverb/delay throws on the vocals to highlight certain words and phrases really bring it to life, as does volume and pan automation to create sense of movement and dynamics between sections.

God the download is ridiculously slow. Normally I can download this pretty quickly but it's saying 15 hours left...

Try a different host maybe?

Thanks Nolly for the awesome multitracks! Had a blast working with this! :kickass:

Here's my attempt: (I might be submitting this to the competition also)

Last edited by a moderator: