War Metal / Battle Metal / NSBM

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Is anyone into War Metal? Can anyone pick out some bands that define the genre?

There also seems to be blurring between which bands fit the genre. Obviously, Bolt Thrower is considered War Metal (reasonably factual material), but then I also see that Bal Sagoth consider themselves to be Battle Metal (based on Fantasy black metal)...

Also, NSBM bands seem to have a stakehold in this 'war' field. Sturmfuhrer, Thor's Hammer, Krystalnacht etc, and so on. Any opinions on the music? Can NSBM bands ever release anything that sounds decent? I hear a lot of praise for Nokturnal Mortum and Graveland, but are they into the war thing too?

:Spin:

Yes.. Nokturnal Mortum and Graveland got some war lyrics. And are two fucking great bands.
Kristallnacht, Temnozor', Swastyka (now known as Sunwheel), Infernum, Veles etc.. are good too.
Absurd & Thor's Hammer are ok/good, but nothing special mostly.

There are a lot of shit too as in all other genres.

Seigneur Voland
Bilskirnir
Gontyna Kry
Weltmacht
Nagelfar

those are all i can think of right now that Lutz has not mentioned

EDIT: Also Vlad Tepes has some war themes.

HarmonyDies.... said:
Seigneur Voland
Bilskirnir
Gontyna Kry
Weltmacht
Nagelfar
Krieg (not so much the lyrics though)

those are all i can think of right now that Lutz has not mentioned

OK sorry for my confusion, but can you describe the bands? Are these strictly war metal or NSBM war metal?

As far as Bolt Thrower and Bal Sagoth go, neither really grab me but kudos to Bolt Thrower for liking Warhammer. Old school Warhammer is fucking WAY hardcore :cool: new school is fucking shit :yuk:

I have a Nokturnal Mortum song tucked away somewhere and I remember it was pretty cool. Kristallnacht are cool also but only because of the name and keyboards - take them away and you got shit. Graveland, as we all know, have very cool album covers! :D

I have a list of NSBM albums I want, but it's for poser novelty value more than else. Quite honestly. Something to laugh about with the mates :D if there's good music in there, fuck it, I'm a winner!

Ayeka said:
As far as Bolt Thrower and Bal Sagoth go, neither really grab me but kudos to Bolt Thrower for liking Warhammer.

Still relatively new to Bal Sagoth, but I admit, I like Bolt Thrower very much indeed. Very grinding death like a fucking tank.

Kristallnacht are cool also but only because of the name and keyboards - take them away and you got shit. Graveland, as we all know, have very cool album covers! :D

:lol:

phyre said:
Nokturnal Mortum is amazing, NSBM or not.

Based on my Emperor thread, I did order Goat Horns, but am yet to hear it.

Is it true that NM were dropped from The End for their 'attitudes'?

Nocturnal Mortum is most definetley NSBM, Check out thors hammer, Infestum, Judas Iscariot, Graveland (of course), wood temple, Nargaroth( i highly recomend them). i could name more if i had the energy...

Btw- NM wasnt drpped soley for their attitudes, it had alot to do with record contract disputes, etc. Aslo, i enjoy much of Absurds early work. To bad Mobus is back in jail again.

En Vind Av Sorg said:
Nocturnal Mortum is most definetley NSBM, Check out thors hammer, Infestum, Judas Iscariot, Graveland (of course), wood temple, Nargaroth( i highly recomend them). i could name more if i had the energy...

Not heard of Wood Temple. Any outline on them?

NM is on Resistance Records for their new album, he he he... I think it's safe to say that The End Recs didn't want anything to do with their views.

Yeah, and the 88 tracks on the CD, and lyrics like
Silver People With White Skin
Are Gathering To Perform A Rite
The Wisemen Are Cursing On The jewish scum
And I See The WHITE MAN'S POWER!
Spit In jewish faces, Cut them Into Pieces
Let them Choke With their Lie
Let The Woods Grow Up On their corpses
ONLY WHITE MAN'S POWER!
They weren't exactly being subtle about their views.

Is anyone aware of the Burzum tribute album that was recently released on Unholy Records? I remembered there was a letter of complaint in the last issue of Terrorizer. I'm not sure about the bands on it (the letter didn't mention any) but the biggest complaint was about that record company being little more than a neo-Nazi organisation. If someone finds the website you'll probably find some more NSBM bands to analyse (Resistance Records is also apparently linked from the site).

burzum.com used to have a page containing bands that had covered Burzum songs, but sadly the site has now turned into little more than a trading post...

phyre said:
NM is on Resistance Records for their new album, he he he... I think it's safe to say that The End Recs didn't want anything to do with their views.

But they obviously have no problem selling their entire back catalogue (that's where I got Goat Horns). I guess there is a difference though to be fair....selling and representing, "it's such a fine line between"...you know the rest, heh.

Yes, well, "NeChrist" is the only one which is explicitely racist and/or NS, and also the album after which The End dropped them. Of course, I believe a quality label like The End believes in free speech and all, so they wouldn't stop pressing an album they've already released only because it has racist/NS content, but as you say, they probably didn't feel comfortable representing or defending the band's views thereafter.