Warning: Basswood + D-Sonic = Fail

RandomOne

Dec 28, 2010
nowhere
Hello,

So the guitarist of a band I'm recording changed the pickups in his GRG250DX with Dimarzio D-Sonic and........
It fucking sounds like 3 times worse that it did.......

Why I post this?
If someone is going to put D-Sonic (DP207) on a basswood guitar DON'T DO IT

Not a rant to this pickup or the company but they don't match.

yes. PSND2 i'm talking about the bridge.

the guy didn't tell me that he changed them and i didn't notice and i was like "WTF the guitar sounds so worse that the last time"....

Do they tune down?
That's where the DS shines.
I have an RG7321 (basswood) with a D-Sonic 7 in the bridge and it sounds tits.

One other thing:
Is the "blade" of the pickup towards the bridge?

btw it has an awful midrange that sounds really HARSH.
i'm messing around to get a good sound with pretty bad results.
it just not worth it.....

blade towards the neck - drop d tuning.

can you give me any samples with your RG?
The blade should be towards the bridge. Its the hotter of the 2 coils. That's where the bite is.

This is a song I did awhile back called "Jack of all trades".
The tone is PODFarm and the mix is shit but at least you'll have something to compare to. I don't think the tone is THAT bad... Maybe a tad too fizzy:

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0BxyU...I1YzQ1&export=download&authkey=CKmUifcM&hl=en

They sounded excellent in my friends JP6 I tried out a few years ago... godlike even.

They sounded excellent in my friends JP6 I tried out a few years ago... godlike even.

JP6 has crunch lab.

From the site:
The stock pickups of this guitar are crunch lab that are identical to d-sonic.
So i guess you tangled them with d-sonic. :)
The Crunch Lab™ is noteworthy (bad pun alert!) for what it doesn’t do - it’s not a screamer, and it’s not about thundering lows. Its physical appearance is identical to the D Sonic™, but the internal design is a lot different. It’s louder, and the highs have more depth. The lows and mids are more open, and this is crucial for playing chords with body and presence through a gained-out amp. The voicing of the pickup is also different enough to the point that John prefers the Crunch Lab™ to be installed in almost all of his guitars (including the JP Bari) with the solid bar toward the neck, regardless of the guitar’s tuning.

To be honest I'm surprised that you managed to find a pickup that sounds worse than the powersounds in ANY guitar. Powersounds are absolutely awful!

The stock pickups of this guitar are crunch lab that are identical to d-sonic.
So i guess you tangled them with d-sonic.
The Crunch Lab™ is noteworthy (bad pun alert!) for what it doesn’t do - it’s not a screamer, and it’s not about thundering lows. Its physical appearance is identical to the D Sonic™, but the internal design is a lot different. It’s louder, and the highs have more depth. The lows and mids are more open, and this is crucial for playing chords with body and presence through a gained-out amp. The voicing of the pickup is also different enough to the point that John prefers the Crunch Lab™ to be installed in almost all of his guitars (including the JP Bari) with the solid bar toward the neck, regardless of the guitar’s tuning.

Am I the only one who found this description hilarious!? Deeper highs and more open lows and mids? Whit?