Warning: Basswood + D-Sonic = Fail

From DiMarzio's website:

Installation direction makes a noticeable difference in the sound, particularly with overdriven amps. With the solid bar toward the bridge, the sound is a little brighter and better-defined, and this is the direction we recommend for heavy strings and low tunings. With the adjustable polepieces toward the bridge, the sound is warmer and a touch louder, and we think this works best for standard tuning and more solo-oriented playing. Each coil has a unique tonal character, so the two split sounds are different, and parallel humbucking produces a third clean and bright sound.

Dude, not to be a dick, but these guys are trying to help you, and you're just tossing their advice out the window without even trying it.

I had a Drop Sonic in a guitar once. Blade at the bridge sounded much better, to my ears. This was in a PRS Custom 22, by the way. I ended up ditching the pickup because it wasn't for me, but it definitely was not a "bad" sounding pickup.

Instead of just denouncing everyone's advice without at least giving it a go, and replying with "c'mon what will change?" (which had been addressed earlier in the thread), TRY the suggestions people are making. Either that, or stop complaining about shit and deal with what you have.

^^ I will add as well. It is not the pickup. Not being a dick as well but from other threads by the OP it is obvious that you are new to music recording and simply lack experience with gear and how to use it which only comes from years upon years of doing this. The pickup may not be your liking, but it is a great pickup and actually the only passive pickup if I ever wanted to stray away from actives. Its not the gear, its you, so stop blaming the gear for your lack of ability.

c'mon what will change?
the character of the pickup will be the same --> shit.

I guess you'll just have to trust me when I say the d-sonic is a good pickup, but for certain the anyone thats ever tried switching the position of the d-sonic or the crunchlab can tell you it's like having two different pickups.

:/ :/ are you sure? it was on the bridge?
it sounds like cr%p to me and i'm pretty sure
it's the guitar and not my mixing skills or something.

110% certain it was a D-Sonic because I was the one that got him to flip the blade towards the bridge position and also I'm absolutely sure that was the stock pick-up that shipped in the guitar.

I'm not saying it's you mixing skills either, but I have to point out that the DI track you posted sounds like it wasn't played with much intensity even though I think the DI track is far from bad sounding. Just make sure you take the track for it's worth and realize you're going to have to EQ it much differently that what you had before with the other pickup.

Dude, not to be a dick, but these guys are trying to help you, and you're just tossing their advice out the window without even trying it.

Well, I'm not trying to do that.

I flipped the pickup and it sounds about the same.
I'm sure its not my mixing skills as with every other guitar I get good tones.

Maybe it's tone not work for the band or It's the guitar it makes it sound bad.

Thanks for your advices....

edit: now that i listen it in a finished demo mix it's not that bad, but it's not what we are looking for.....

Oh hell, I didn't know it was a GIO.
Well that explains everything...

You can't dis the pickup because its a basswood guitar.
That particular slab of the wood could be bad or something to that effect.
They are $150 after all. So yeah I'm sure its the pickup :rolleyes:

Oh hell, I didn't know it was a GIO.
Well that explains everything...

You can't dis the pickup because its a basswood guitar.
That particular slab of the wood could be bad or something to that effect.
They are $150 after all. So yeah I'm sure its the pickup :rolleyes:

Are you kidding dude?
I'm not really a guitar tech or something but GIOs sound good to me and with good pickups they're pretty decent.

I had great results with that pickup, it's one of my favorite pickups and it sounded pretty
awesome in the basswood ibanez from a friend, so why don't you stop bashing the pickup
and think about the stuff you're saying and stop reacting like an ass to everything the guys
here are saying to you.
They want to help you and reactions like "Are you kidding dude?" won't help you...
It's a good pickup, but it seems like it doesn't fit the guitar you have there, that doesn't
mean it's shit in every guitar, even if it's a basswood guitar, too.
There are loads of other factors than just the wood and the pickup that have an influence
on the sound.
And all the Gios I have tried were only acceptable, not good, not great, ok, but that's it.

Oh I didn't want to argue with someone.
That's the way I usually talk.
Don't take It as an offend.

//Please don't continue this.

For what it's worth (at this point in the thread), I've installed two D-Sonics in two different guitars' bridge position. Blade/Solid Bar facing the bridge on both.

One was a cheap Chinese Les Paul knockoff. Sounded pretty bad.

One was a Schecter C1 Classic, sounded amazing.

Passive pickups are influenced heavily by the construction, quality, and materials of the guitar. A cheap guitar made of basswood will sound like a cheap guitar. A $1000 one made of basswood will sound worlds better.