Warning: Basswood + D-Sonic = Fail

Patton dont bother with this guy ...

We been trying to help him forever and hes been a Troll forever.

His statements above are TOTAL BULLSHIT. He has no ears and has no fucking clue what TONE is ...

Too much mids ...lol THAT IS SO FUCKING LAUGHABLE....

This dude needs to be banned for being a tool.

Patton dont bother with this guy ...

We been trying to help him forever and hes been a Troll forever.

His statements above are TOTAL BULLSHIT. He has no ears and has no fucking clue what TONE is ...

Too much mids ...lol THAT IS SO FUCKING LAUGHABLE....

This dude needs to be banned for being a tool.

Isn't this disallowed by the forum rules?

No whats disallowed by the forum rules is opening 900 threads with the same stupid fucking topic over the course of 3 months. If obvious to all of us who have a clue that you have no idea what you are talking about. That being said we have tried to teach you in other threads and you just blow us off. So why they fuck are you here asking our opinion?

Just go away.

I just looked through your post history... it's not a good look man, he has been more than helpful, and everyone was pretty damned patient IMO even though you are masterfully avoiding taking any actual advice. Bordering on absurd really.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the D-Sonic 7 in a basswood-body Ibanez 7621 - blade side towards bridge. Sounds good to my ears.

Sure, it has plenty of mids, but since when is that a bad thing.

I don't have any issues with it apart from having to use different amp settings than with my mahogany+JB guitar. (duh!)

No whats disallowed by the forum rules is opening 900 threads with the same stupid fucking topic over the course of 3 months. If obvious to all of us who have a clue that you have no idea what you are talking about. That being said we have tried to teach you in other threads and you just blow us off. So why they fuck are you here asking our opinion?

Just go away.

ok dude sorry i really have been an assh*le lol...

The GIO was my first guitar.
Played this git for years with Gibson 490R/T pups and it was ok.

But you have to know that the body is maybe 50% basswood, the other 50% is just polyurethan, seriously, tried to get rid of the lacquering but it was a pretty much impossible mission.

If there was one pickup that could make basswood sound awesome it would be the D-Sonic. This seems a little redundant now but seriously, it IS the guitar dude, not the pickup. Built quality and material care make an enormous difference in tone and playability. GIO's are cheaply made, end of. A few years back I had an RG350dx, hardly a top of the line guitar, but hardly cheap crap either. I threw a D-Sonic up in that bad boy and it sang for days. The pickup is not at fault here

A few years back I had an RG350dx, hardly a top of the line guitar, but hardly cheap crap either. I threw a D-Sonic up in that bad boy and it sang for days.

hello dude,

we can borrow a RG350dx and throw the pickup there.
what do you mean? will it sound better than the GIO?

edit: standard or dual wiring will sound better?

Hey man.
I just mean it had a really nice tone, even for basswood I could get some chunk out of it. So yes, it will sound better than a GIO, because it's not a GIO.

As for wiring: does it matter? If you're using it as a humbucker in its entirety then it makes no difference if it's standard or 4-conductor wired. Just depends if you need/want to split the coils.

I'm new to the forum so hello to all.

I figured I'd give this a little bump cause the subjects of this thread intrigued me. I just ordered a D Sonic pickup so that's how I stumbled across it in the first place. There were a couple other things I read that caught my eye so I figured I'd weigh in fwiw...

I never figured I would ever speak out on behalf of a GIO guitar but I ended up with one for 80 bucks from the pawn shop for the express purpose of having a cheap POS guitar to learn proper setup and electronics service on. First off I read something to this effect earlier in the thread. I can confirm that it's probably 80% urethane and 20% agathis. That don't mean a lot to me though being that tonewood is a lot like the chupacabra imho. The wood is just a medium that carries the electronics which are the true heart of a solid body electric. So basswood schmasswood afaic. Anyway, after I set the guitar up properly and replaced the useless original hardware I really liked the way it played. Then I set about replacing the volume and tone pots that never worked properly and threw a set of Dragonfire Screamers in it it really became a respectable playing and sounding instrument. I wouldn't have believed it either, I know. I even went as far as to throw a Dirty Fingers in the bridge, and although I have "nicer" guitars at my disposal this is the one that I reach for most often these days.

I'm sure someone will have an opinion on my post so I'll wait to hear those responses:popcorn: