Warwick Corvette $$ vs. Corvette Std. Active

hellraiser85

Sep 1, 2007
Spain
www.myspace.com
Hello mates, I want to buy a 5 string bass that sounds great for metal, I'm thinking of a warwick corvette std. active, warwick corvette $ $, maybe a fender american deluxe jazz bass or Sandberg California TM. My first choice is the Warwick Corvette $ $ (second hand, too expensive brand new ...), followed by the Corvette std. active. What do you recommend me? Thanks!

I used to own a custom shop corvette with two MEC single coils. I only sold it because it was too heavy and had neck dive although the sound had that warwick trademark grwol to it which can be great for metal.
these days, though, I'd go for a fender american deluxe jazz or a spector euro 5. I have heard mixed things about sandberg lately. it is suspected that they're having quality control issues and that some of their basses just sound kind of lifeless.
have you played any of those basses yet? if not, try to do so, that's what's going to help you the most.

All of them are good choices, the bass player in my former death metal band owned
the Corvette $$, great bass. Played like butter, the same goes for the Corvette Std.
but the $$ is a bit more flexible in my opinion and I dig the basis more.
The Deluxe Jazz Bass is nice but I am more into "special" things :D
Really digging the Sandberg California TM, flexible bass, plays great and everything.

Hard decision, depends on the genre and your playing style, for more hardcore/metalcore
kind of stuff played with a pick and a distorted modern sound, I would go either for the
Fender or the Sandberg.
If you want a clean and flexible bass, both of the Warwicks are great, more hi-fi.
Check Spectors out as well, really digging them, the 6 stringer of our bassist is the sex,
almost on par with his Steinberger (not the paddle, awesome sounding bass!).

Thanks guys for your advice! I'm looking for a bass that has a lot of that metallic "clank" sound, thinking of playing with a pick and some distortion (bass sound in Versus from The Haunted is what comes to mind). I'll look some Spector also. Thanks!

With the warwicks you will get a big tonal range depending on the woods used. I think they're currently using a wenge neck and board which will be a little more mid-centric and fat sounding than maple. That said, with an ash body and the MM in single coil you should be able to pull off a convincing jazz sound. On an aside, it may seem trivial but to me personally the placement of the double MM pickups on the $$ is a little annoying (I'm a fingerstyle player). I'd definitely try to lay hands on whatever you're buying to make sure it works for you. FWIW I think they used a corvette standard on Versus.

With the warwicks you will get a big tonal range depending on the woods used. I think they're currently using a wenge neck and board which will be a little more mid-centric and fat sounding than maple. That said, with an ash body and the MM in single coil you should be able to pull off a convincing jazz sound. On an aside, it may seem trivial but to me personally the placement of the double MM pickups on the $$ is a little annoying (I'm a fingerstyle player). I'd definitely try to lay hands on whatever you're buying to make sure it works for you. FWIW I think they used a corvette standard on Versus.

A huge plus 1 on this! Getting your hands on the bass before is a must.
I actually liked the position of the pickups in the $$ because I use the pickups as a thumbrail.
But I am playing a Music Man Sub, so I am quite used to the position.

my spector euro 5 also sounded punchier than my corvette and the B-string was better due to the 35" scale.
personally, I'd go for the spector again.