'Watered down death metal...'

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Here I was, on another forum, trying to spread the joys and wonders of Vehemence to a group of uninitiated metalloids, when I was confronted with the statement that Vehemence are (and I quote) 'Watered down death metal'.

I'd really like to hear everyone's opinion on that statement and to which extent you feel it applies to Vehemence.

Personally, I have been on forums for a long time, but I've scarcely ever seen anything that's matched the absurdity of that statement and made me gape at my monitor in total awe.

Yeah Moonlapse we have a rare majority of haters, most of them claim to be elite music listeners of heavy music and dont want to see any change in the bands they first get into. All of them usually hide behind the computer screen, with their fake emails, or no email addressed, and never confront the band in person about their opnions. Its best to ignore them, there are more Vehemence fans than haters id say about 95%.

I understand what you're saying but this guy doesn't seem to be a Death Metal 'purist' of any sort. If anything he is a fan of older power metal and ergo, I figured he would appreciate the finer, melodic points of Vehemence.

I mean that's the deal with me. I'm not really a big death/grind fan. I'm more thrash/power/progressive metal oriented but Vehemence helped bridge that genre gap for me.

What that dude was saying to me made absolutely 0% sense.

Power Metal fans are THE Biggest Elitists out there.
Why do ya think half those bands have asshole cocksuckers in them, & then that just rubs off on the fans.
They hardly give anything a chance.
I'd say Vehemence is one of the most Original (American)Death Metal bands around.
Especially with their odd riffs & Andy's drumming.

well mabye its because of the music they liked...if all they listen to is those bands that are blast beats 99% of the song with burping growls and the guitars don't exceed the third fret, then the smallest hint of melodicness is gonna turn them off to it.

Hey Moonlapse.....I'm willing to bet money, they've probably never even heard Vehemence. Sometimes metalheads, especially the ones that try to be "more metal than thou" elite,...they try to show there ass off by talking shit on bands they've never heard just so they can act like they know everything about death metal. Some of the idiots I went to high school with back in the day were like that.....they didn't know shit about metal and all they could do is run their mouth.

Yeah, you have to remember. Metal is a scene just like everything else. There are the people who go to the shows to rock out and see some band with alot of talent play technical. Then there are people who go to the shows to show off their new leather pants or brand new nose-ring or something, haha.

I think Vehemence is one of the better metal bands out there. I hate that when people can play fast and shit but never travel higher than the 5th fret. Vehemence is brutal and melodic, they move around the fretboard. They also have the death metal sort of voice, but Nathan seems to have more depth to his voice that sounds good. I like the drumming style. Like the drumming on 'By Your Bedside,' during the chorus, kicks ass.

I think that Vehemence's melodicism is the antithesis to an elitist's beloved technicality. That's probably where you get the "watered down" remark. Chalk it up to ingorance, taste, opinion. You know, all that bullshit that most people take far too seriously.

I'd say anyone who doesn't like Vehemence, hasn't heard Vehemence. When I bought 'God Was Created' after I saw them with NA a couple years ago, I played it for everyone I knew, black/death fans, power/prog fans, metalcore fans, Thursday fans (hah), and every fucking person tried to steal the CD from me. I had to burn like 36 copies at once. I think that pretty well proves the theory. You can't not like something about the band.

Let me guess, it was that Jean-Pierre douche guy from the General Discussion?!? Am I right?!? I recommended Pain of Salvation in a thread over there a long time ago, and he comes in there calling it elevator music. WTF?!? If you don't like them, fine, but tell me which kind of elevators you ride on, because that is some whack shit to be playing in an elevator!! This guy is obviously someone who falls into the "elitist fuck" category. Fucking prick. Vehemence is fucking great, and that's all there is to it.

37220843_l.jpg

Burned 36 copies? HMM 9.99 X 36. Thats like $360.00 that could have paid our band rent. Jk with ya man, thats cool you support our band, keep spreading the word, the next album will be pretty well produced as fuck we are hoping, containing every godly skill from all your favorite metal albums. Oh yeah check out this picture, this will break up some of the negativity. WTF!!! HAHA

Haha, not exactly 36, more like 7 or 8 for bandmates and whatnot. I don't like my friends enough to burn 36 CDs. :tickled:

Oh, and at least 2 of them actually bought the album, that I know of, and I think everybody bought the new album. So I think I actually did feed y'all for a couple days.

WTF??? Is that a child in that photo???
As for the watered down remark...how come everything is so micro-classified now? Death/Black/Thrash/Speed,etc...whatever happened to just good music?

Moonlapse said:
Yep, that's a child... one child set for a very traumatic childhood. What I can't work out is whether that's either his older sister, or mother...
Either way, sister or mom, a good old fashioned lynching seems appropriate!