Waves bass rider

I never automated bass note by note...never felt the need to.

damn, many bass players play like 500-1000 notes per song....I would never even start doing that ...and never did (well, I would if I'd be working on an 80.000€ budget)

I know shipley does it, and andy some how does do it manually on the console. All you need is an assistant who has 2-3 hours and an RMS meter and you can do it manually.

Just talked to a friend who beta'd this plugin, and he said that it actually uses some crazy algorithm that goes after more perceived volume then actual volume...which I think is awesome.

Tried it out briefly yesterday and loved it. This literally saves me a day of work or more on every album I work on.

Cool! Did you prefer using it before or after compression?

damn, many bass players play like 500-1000 notes per song....I would never even start doing that ...and never did (well, I would if I'd be working on an 80.000€ budget)

same here. just throw a c4 on it when neccessary and i´m done.

I think it's more along the lines of using general compression to even out the overall level and then saying "okay, when he plays an F# the level should be X, when he plays an E the level should be Y" and so forth - Just because depending on the rest of the music and the key of the song, different bass notes will have different apparent loudness, even if they're evened out with a compressor beforehand. I think we've all dealt with that. I don't think they're getting down to the 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16 note level or anything like that unless the part calls for it.

Cool! Did you prefer using it before or after compression?

Definitely before. It does NOT work well after compression. It works GREAT before compression though.

Here's a quick before and after... no audio necessary :)

BassRider.jpg

I'm just upset it doesn't work with the bass on a record I'm finishing right now. Already printed 2 compressors on it, and it appears to be too much envelope mangling for the plug-in to handle.

Ah well - next record!