Waves C4

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
I'm still fairly new to multi-band comps.

Picked up C4 the other day when it was on sale.

Can anyone give some basic tips/pointers/tricks to try out for maybe a few different instruments?

Is the general "rule" to attenuate frequencies rather than boost?

I'm still a little unsure as to how this differs from an EQ.

Sorry for the newb-ness.

I sometimes use it to tighten up the 200-450hz range on guitars or bass. I think I bought it all those years ago because it was populair and Andy used it on some releases. There should be a screenshot of Andy's setting on here for guitars, he used to use, sometimes.

Nowadays I mostly us it on overheads or as a kind of deesser.

A very versatile tool. Maybe start with searching andys preset and try on some of your own tracks.

eq doesnt compress and a normal compressor doesnt let you choose wich frequencies you want to compress.

Well the main use for this is to control frequencies that are very dynamic. Works great to tame the low end. There is a well known snapshot of andy sneap C4 for guitar palm mutes. It´s one example of how you could use it.

Guess this is Andy's preset?

AndysWavesC4Compressorsetting.gif

I'll have to play around with this.

Just use the mastering preset, don't remember the exact name but its a good start. I love the C4, it's a great tool to evening things out, bass, vocals guitars whatever :)

Guess this is Andy's preset?

AndysWavesC4Compressorsetting.gif

I'll have to play around with this.

What I LOVE about that 'preset' is how it was definitely created in a mid session flurry of creativity.

How do I know?

Most of the controls, are at the c4's default settings.

Might sound like a noob question but what's the difference between the C1, C4 and the C6?

Might sound like a noob question but what's the difference between the C1, C4 and the C6?

C4 and C6 are multiband compressors (the C4 has 4 bands, the C6 has 6 bands). And the C1 is a normal ass wideband compressor.

A few minutes on wikipedia looking up multiband compression will probably answer all your questions

C4 and C6 are multiband compressors (the C4 has 4 bands, the C6 has 6 bands). And the C1 is a normal ass wideband compressor.

A few minutes on wikipedia looking up multiband compression will probably answer all your questions

Ahh, apologies for that, I'd be sure to wiki them the next time but thanks for clearing that out for me.

Also C6 has a really handy little trick to let you set it to work as a sidechained compressor but only on the bands you choose. I want it solely for that reason.

Haven't used the C6 but I have the C4 in my bundle and it is quite a useful plugin. I use it more for corrective purposes than effect type compression though.

Once the light bulb goes on you'll understand how it works, but basically it just lets you compress certain frequency bands independent of each other.

For example, I used it yesterday while mixing a jazz record. There is a song with a muted trumpet, and those can get QUITE shrill in some areas of the top end. Even though I recorded it with a Royer, the warmest mic we have, about 1/3 of the notes were still pretty annoying. Added a c4. bypassed all but the third section. Set it to compress between 4.5kHz and 8kHz, pretty fast attack, then adjusted the threshold and gain until it sounded balanced. So half the time it's not doing much, then when he gets to the annoying higher notes it pull only the high frequencies down that I've set. Bit like a de-esser in this case, but it has many more uses.

Andy's setting is basically doing the same thing but in a different frequency range on guitar. You'd use this if you don't want to eq the entire sound, only when it does something you don't want it to do. Like that trumpet, or palm mutes on a guitar. Eqing out 3 db at 200hz might take a bit away from your tone, but might be perfect when it builds up in the palm mutes. enter the multiband comp.

Yeah, C6 is awesome! I especially love it for clearing up low end. It does wonders on bass guitar.

Yep use c6 on every mix from de essing vocals and cymbals to taming the woof on gtrs and bass and often on toms for the same reason.