Waves IR-L

Jan 10, 2005
I need a convolution reverb plug to do this speaker impulse stuff. I found the Waves IR-L which is the "light" version of the Waves IR-1. Here is the Waves page for that plug. I'm wondering if I can surely do the speaker impulses with it. Anyone know? Or should I look into something else? I'm on a Mac, so the Voxengo won't work, and I'm not sure about others.

~006

Ditto.
And yes, you can use Speaker impulse in IR (as long as you set the decay accordingly)

SIR doesn't seem to have a Mac version. The file extension for SIR is a dll, which I think is PC only. Is there no other freeware ones out there? I have Altiverb 5, but it doesn't import WAVs. Any ideas?

~006

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but when I use my impulses in Waves IR-1, thy sound NOTHING like how they do in Pristine Space. Waves IR-1 almost sound direct, rather than the natural sound of the speaker and cabinet I get from Pristine Space. I guess if the impulse was actually created in IR-1, this may be different.

Fuckin' sweet Ken, thanks a million! So, this will work in Digital Performer, correct?

~006

Nvm, had a brain fart, it's AS only. I need something that is AU or VST. Damn I just want something that can do the speaker impulses...

~006

Razorjack, forgive me as I'm an American and don't understand your limey lingo. :lol: j/k what is Max/MSP? Pluggo is freeware, yes? I would like to not spend any money at all if possible, I'm trying to save up to equip my own studio at the mo.

~006

Ok, did some research on it. It's not free. And Max/MSP is apparently the heart of Pluggo. Hmm...you are certain I can make a convolution patch of my speaker cabinet impulses and/or use other people's wav's of speaker impulses?

~006

Splat88 said:
Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but when I use my impulses in Waves IR-1, thy sound NOTHING like how they do in Pristine Space.

Does it have wet and dry levels? I said this in the other thread - I use Perfect Space in Sonar, and by default it sets the dry signal (the DI) to 0Db and the wet (the actual imulse) to -9.6Db, so it barely sounds any different.

Sorry for the threadjack 006!

Steve

Splat88 said:
Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but when I use my impulses in Waves IR-1, thy sound NOTHING like how they do in Pristine Space. Waves IR-1 almost sound direct, rather than the natural sound of the speaker and cabinet I get from Pristine Space. I guess if the impulse was actually created in IR-1, this may be different.

Mine sounds direct?
Pay attention to the wet/dry settings

kaomao said:
Mine sounds direct?
Pay attention to the wet/dry settings

No, that first one you upload sounds good. What program did you use to do the sine sweep and deconvolving?

All I'm saying is that the same impulse .wav files that I use sound very different in Waves IR-1 than they do in Pristine Space. The difference is so huge, they might as well be different impulses. The .wavs I made sound "correct" in Pristine Space, but horribly wrong in IR-1 no matter what I do.

006 said:
Ok, did some research on it. It's not free. And Max/MSP is apparently the heart of Pluggo. Hmm...you are certain I can make a convolution patch of my speaker cabinet impulses and/or use other people's wav's of speaker impulses?

~006

I actually forgot how much Max/MSP cost!! I got a license free from university while I was there. It's probably not the most viable option as a starting point, but it's something I recommend looking into as the possibilities are endless.

kaomao said:
I've downloaded the sine here
what about my second impulse? too muddy?
(this works on pristine space really well, for me works)

Yeah, I tried that one out earlier. Sounds great! Very smooth and balanced tone. How did you set the resonance and presence controls on the poweramp section of the 5150 when you made the impulses?

Also, are you going to make more of some additional mic placements?

Splat88 said:
How did you set the resonance and presence controls on the poweramp section of the 5150 when you made the impulses?

Also, are you going to make more of some additional mic placements?

Resonance and presence set to 0, cause when I played the sine wave I had a lot of low end going on and trebles as well. So I didn't want to damage my speakers. Those sine waves can kill your ears and your cab.
In the future I'll make more impulses, as soon as my boogie gets home I'll do a lot of impulses with that one. My 5150 is at the rehearsal space all the time, so I couldn't record so many impulses.