Waves X-Noise vs Z-Noise... Whats the difference?

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
One uses a helluva lot more CPU than the other. I can't remember which right off the top of my head. I'd run the clip for you right now but my interface is at the venue and I'm home eating dinner. I will later if no one else does.

Better algorithm. It's got a pretty long learning curve (at least it had for me). And yes, a lot of CPU. I prefer applying it via Audiosuite rather than using it in realtime.
As for the X, I never got hold of it.

I got Izotope RX2 as a student discount. IMO/FME it beats the shit out of Waves Z-Noise. Standalone only. Uses hell lotta cpu. IMO it's like a software version of a very cheap Power Conditioner. But kindly don't take my word for it because I'm still going through the PDF. It's overwhelming,

As mentioned above it is a different algorithm but also ZNoise has a lot more tweak-ability over XNoise.

Here are the main features that ZNoise has over XNoise:

- additional EQ points in allow you to sculpt a noise profile a lot more. I find this very useful bringing back some air etc post cleaning.

- Adaptive mode that will change the noise profile if the noise shifts over time.

- Extract mode will extract a noise profile from a signal if you do not have a section of pure noise to pull from. This is going to be more useful for post production work, foley, etc than music production.

All that being said, like most restoration work some tools will work better than others from project to project and different source material. I still find myself going between Waves XNoise, ZNoise and WNS but also other 3rd party restoration plugins as well.

I hope this helps.