WCFYA session outtakes...

Tharsh

Mar 30, 2003
Aside from the 14 songs (that's including Contact and Crash) on WCFYA, what other songs were laid down during the recording sessions? As far as I can recall just 5 others...

Safe Home (Acoustic)
Ghost
We're A Happy Family
Exit
Next To You

Am I missing anything? Still kinda miffed the acoustic Safe Home and We're A Happy Family we're on the bloody Safe Home cd single...

Yeah good question - I reakon you've got them all listed, but not 100% sure.

I do remember a track name of 'Expiration' from somewhere, but that might have been a working title for Black Dahlia.(?).

ghost on taking the music back single. it is a topper of a song.

safe home acoustic and were a happy family are on the european version of the wcfya album. dont know about the other two though.

Yup... Expiration evolved into Black Dahlia.

I forget which working titles went to which songs, other than Twin Peaks becoming Anyplace.

Other than that, there wasn't much else that I remember.

Johnny Ace said:
Yup... Expiration evolved into Black Dahlia.

I forget which working titles went to which songs, other than Twin Peaks becoming Anyplace.

Other than that, there wasn't much else that I remember.

can you shed some light on WHY anyplace's working title was twin peaks? i can't figure it out... i mean, there's no connection to the show that i can find.

Oh wow! Twin Peaks was a REAL title?! When I put in my CD and my cdplayer downloaded the track names, Anyplace But Here was called Twin Peaks! I assumed it was a CDDB fuckup! Charlie must have submitted a tracklisting to CDDB early, before they changed the title! Interesting.

wullief said:
ghost on taking the music back single. it is a topper of a song.

safe home acoustic and were a happy family are on the european version of the wcfya album. dont know about the other two though.
exit and next to you are on the same single, along with videos for that song and safe home.

Steve M said:
can you shed some light on WHY anyplace's working title was twin peaks? i can't figure it out... i mean, there's no connection to the show that i can find.
This was the very first demo I heard when I showed up at Krusty's Funhouse two summers ago. The first run through of the song didn't have the 12 string in the beginning. It was the same chords, but on a clean, flanged electric. Kind of reminiscent of Black Lodge. There were no lyrics at the time, and the piece was very dark, moody, and atmospheric. I guess that's why they named it Twin Peaks for the time being. It was named before I got there.

Man that was a fun summer/fall.

Johnny Ace said:
Man that was a fun summer/fall.

I can imagine! That would kick ass! How long have you been demo engineering for Anthrax? Was that the first time?

Yeah, the WCFYA sessions were my first time working with the band. My college (Straaaaaaaaap it on.......) is in the next town over from Kamp Krusty. Talk about luck. If someone told me when I was 10 that I'd get to work with Anthrax, I would have told them they were on coke.

The moral of the story... don't do coke, and if you want to do something cool, just email someone.

Deege, Johnny Ace thanks for those trivia tidbits! Johnny, did you work during the entire preproduction sessions? Can you tell us what songs were done and what some of the other working titles were? How different were these versions from the fnal ones on WCFYA?

I think Charlie began writing the riffs during the early part of Summer 2001. I came in to the joint about mid August... there were a few things down on the 24 track, but the lionshare was done right up until they began their solo tour on Sept 7th. After the Priest tour was ppd due to the 9/11 attacks, we picked up again in mid-Oct. I worked/hung out through New Years 2002 before they went back out on the road. So as far as the actual record, I was only there for Superhero and the drum tracks for everything else. Almost all the songs evolved from the demos... the verse riffs to what doesn't die and black dahlia, and the WDD verse lyrics come to mind. As for working titles, I only remember one other, but I'm keeping that under my lid in case they want to use it for a song down the road.

It was all lucky timing... I was finishing grad school and worked a job where I could be flexible with my hours.