Weird vocal glitch on Nickelback's 'Photograph'

wow i hear the vocal glitch on nickelback a lot. but like ermz said, i've heard this song sooo many times and listened to this whole album so many times that i never noticed it. there are a lot of sogns including mega commercial ones with glitches. it's just the nature of the beast. but no one ever notices it until some engineer or someone randomly catches it, and then after feeling good about it you just go "ok this song is still great" and you move on.

same with the click bleed in nevermore TGE title track

I think the bigger question here is why are you listening to a Nickelback record daily? It better be because of its production.

Yeah, I only really listen to it to be wowed by it having some of the best radio-ready rock production.
The worst of the Nickelback stuff, the more sappy, softer stuff, is especially terrible. It doesn't even sound like the band is trying at all on those songs, just sounds like they slap stuff together and think "Yeah, this will get the teenage girls bopping".
Some of their heavier stuff is not quite as bad admittedly, but wont be replacing any of my favorite heavy albums for pure music listening enjoyment any time soon.

The Deftones one sounds like its intentional to me. I really like it. There's a few more glitches in that song tho...

Also fuck that ultra annoying vocal doubling in the nickelback one....

Yeah, it is definitely over the top.
What makes doubling of vocals/harmonizing of vocals good is the contrast to single vocal tracks, but when it's just doubled the whole time, it completely loses the effect it was meant to have.

ermz, one of 3 things is going on here

1) you are trolling us all, by making us listen to nickleback, repeatedly, as i have for 5 minutes listening for this glitch. in this case - fuck you!!!!!

2) they have different releases of this song, and the current youtube one has that fixed

3) you can hear way better than i can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0DU4DoPP4#t=1m44s

that's the spot right before the line, i honestly can't hear anything :(

thanks,

EDIT: the ad might break the timestamp, but it's at 1:44.

There's nothing wrong with doubling a vocal the whole way through a song, provided emphasis is added via quads and backings. It works well for Chuck Billy, and it's worked well for me in the past... in fact usually when people remark to me 'fuck dude I love that vocal sound you did' it usually involves a straight double the whole way for texture/chorusing.

The reason you hate it here is likely because all the vocal layers are disgustingly auto tuned into a shit-stack sandwich.

If a pro engineer only notices this after a year of listening to it every single day, then.. so what? There are probably a thousand other errors, especially regarding autotune, in other major-label songs that we haven't picked up. Just listening to the Rock Band multitracks gives you an idea of how butchered these vocals are, but in the mix you simply don't notice it.

On laptop speakers right now... So this is about the "out" really standing out. Like being over emphasised or something else I'm not getting? If it's that than it sounds like a bad edit to. Really subtle. Been listening to this quite a couple of times as well and never noticed.

Deftones, it sounds like someone is stoping a vinyl with the vocal track on it shortly if you know what I mean. But then again Deftones vocals are really over the top most of the time so I couldn't say wether or not it was intentional.

If a pro engineer only notices this after a year of listening to it every single day, then.. so what? There are probably a thousand other errors, especially regarding autotune, in other major-label songs that we haven't picked up. Just listening to the Rock Band multitracks gives you an idea of how butchered these vocals are, but in the mix you simply don't notice it.

+ 1

And why ermz do you listen to that album for a year?? It is so boring...

I don't know if it's just me, but I think that it's very clear in this clip:

1:48

Last edited by a moderator:
About Nickelback,i'm pretty sure it's not a mistake,but simply an automated effect on a double taked vocal track, which pops up here and there,to emphasise some words and to keep the interest of the listener,without him noticing it.The effect itself could easily be achieved with a vocoder and fast modulation, or with waves enigma, or with lots of other similar ways.Also, you can hear the same effected track in other parts of the song,but blended way quieter(maybe 9db lower than the main vocal track), for ex. at 2:03. Also i think that this track also feeds the delays a little bit,but i'm not sure.
About Deftones, weird but i think it's not artificial, just his voice doing that.

I don't hear anything.

ak-yall-niggas-postin-in-a-troll-thread.jpg

a little too much autotuned, but don't bother me at all. To be honest, I can hear the thing is comped from a thousand takes, some words don't connect smoothly with others, but I also hear this on a thousand other big records. But I am trying to avoid hearing this kind of thing - I want to be a regular listener when listening and not have my radar to whatever AE details the music might offer me. There's a point that doing this is just too annoying.

found another..
must be bad beat detective

1:14

Last edited by a moderator:
^^He tried to point it out before and we couldn't really hear it then, either.

As far as doubled vocals go... For Chuck Billy or someone growling, sure, but for clean vocals, I absolutely hate it. Sounds chorus-y and overly processed, and the tuning it takes to get them to mesh well makes them even more lifeless than they otherwise would be. Never heard a doubled clean vocal through a song that I actually liked the sound of.

well shit, i've never heard a nickelback song i liked the sound of - so i guess i don't much have to worry about running into this glitch...