Well, this is intersting.....

SkiBumMSP

Apr 4, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
As much as I slam on AOL, but I gotta admit, this is pretty damn cool!

Since AOL has opened up alot of thier content for free, and I had an old AIM account that I have not used in ages, I figured I'd try this AOL Radio out. I still cannot believe that I actually remembered my password as it has to have been at least 5 years since I last logged into AIM.

Anyway, AOL Radio includes a POWER METAL station!!! I just got done listening to Stratovarious's "Forever Free" from thier Visions album, and now it is playing Symphorce "Slow Down" off of Phorceful Ahead. This is pretty damn cool! And, who'd of thunk?

Whoops, the Symphorce track just ended and now playing "The Prophecy" by Dream Evil from thier Dragon Slayer album!

Apparently they also have an all-Slayer channel. As well as a "Wussiest Songs Of All Time" channel. Interesting...

SkiBumMSP said:
As much as I slam on AOL, but I gotta admit, this is pretty damn cool!

Since AOL has opened up alot of thier content for free, and I had an old AIM account that I have not used in ages, I figured I'd try this AOL Radio out. I still cannot believe that I actually remembered my password as it has to have been at least 5 years since I last logged into AIM.

Anyway, AOL Radio includes a POWER METAL station!!! I just got done listening to Stratovarious's "Forever Free" from thier Visions album, and now it is playing Symphorce "Slow Down" off of Phorceful Ahead. This is pretty damn cool! And, who'd of thunk?

Whoops, the Symphorce track just ended and now playing "The Prophecy" by Dream Evil from thier Dragon Slayer album!

Thanks for the head's up; I have an AOL account, and it never would have occurred to me that there would be anything worth listening to on there :lol:

Gotta go check it out...

Wow, last time I browsed the AOL radios (3 years ago maybe?) they just had a "heavy metal" station.

urinalcakemix said:
Turned it on to hear KAMELOT - The Fourth Legacy. Damn, htis is pretty sweet.

Dragonforce and Seven Witches are said to be comming up.

I was listening to it quite a bit this evening.

For a minute, I thought they were going to be doing a "best of ProgPower VII", as a Savage Circus track came on, immediatly followed by a Vision Devine track!

Right, now, as I am posting this, Blind Guardion "Time, What Is Time", from thier
Somewhere Far Beyond album is on!

But yes, you can access AOL radio from the web (and yes, I got it to work with FireFox) - but you gotta let a plug-in install for the player to work. Would be nice if I could stream this through my Roku SoundBridge unit into my nice Klipsch audio setup. Also sucks that at work, they have it firewalled out, which means I cannot listen to it from my work computer (grr...).

Oh yeah, heard quite a bit of DragonForce on here. (oh great, that damn Stratovarious "Manic Dance" track just came on).

Other bands I've heard quite a bit on here:

Iced Earth
Brainstorm
Heavenly
Nightwish
Kamelot
Nocturnal Rites
Sonata Arctica
Stratovarious
Symphony X
Edguy

Seems to be going through quite tha gamut of Power Metal on here. I"ve yet to hear a dud track on this thing yet (to bad I can't say that for the local radio stations, or even the Boneyard and Liquid Metal stations on XM Radio). I could easily sit here and listen to it all day. They might as well be hooking up my iPod and let it rip on random shuffle, because that is pretty much like it seems to be.

They actually debuted that Power Metal station a couple months ago, and it is quite nicely done! Hopefully they will add to the playlist as if you listen for a few days there is a lot of repetition on artists.

AOL Music has actually been quite impressive the last 4 months or so. AOL is really doing a good job of starting to reinvent themselves (I think).