Went to the Slayer show last night, and they didn't play...

Aug 31, 2004
Well, last night(Sept. 1) was going to be the first time I've seen Slayer live. It was them with Hatebreed opening at the House Of Blues in Myrtle Beach, so Slayer was going to play a full set (didn't want to see them opening for Slipknot). Anyway, now I hate Hatebreed, although I was neutral before(didn't like their music though), touched on that in the accessibility topic.

But anyway, after all the crap was over, they put the big curtain in front of the stage for Slayer to set up. Well, we waited there for at least thirty minutes, and there was set-up type sound for a while, and then nothing for a long time. Then they announced over the PA that due to a medical emergency, Tom Araya couldn't play, so it wasn't happening. No one from the band even came out to say anything we didn't even get to see them.

Well, I was thinking about it later, and I realized that I should have seen that there was something afoot because Hatebreed played a full set. Jamie Jasta said several different times that they had time for one more song, and he kept going backstage, as if to check on something. I wonder if Tom was drunk or having some issues as opposed to the medical emergency they announced.

Well, that was a waste of time, but we got a refund today...

Well, that wan't exactly the response of the crowd. It was more along the lines of "**** SLAYER!!!!" I'd like to know what happened. But there's no update on their site. It's too soon for that if they're going to add something anyway.

Why would they say that? I mean, everyone loses their fucking minds over Slayer, and then they can't play because of a medical emergency involving Tom Araya. What the fuck do people expect them to do, play without bass or vocals?

Blanket statment or not, I don't care. Most metal fans are fucking idiots.

Heh

They should have played without bass and with Hanneman on vox, or any random bloke from the audience who is sure to know the words to all of the good songs... He's also likely to be a better vocalist than Araya is nowadays.